View post (Open Mic)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
02/27/2014 8:13 pm
On the bright side, that other guitarist is up for playing together at the music-school-event-thing. On the not-so-bright side, neither of us are allowed to have any control over any aspect of the whole thing... At all. I'm thinking once we're past this event, that it might be in my best interest to just stop taking lessons there, since it sometimes feels more like a hindrance than a help.

Now, I don't have any problems with playing an improvised Blues Jam, although playing an actual song would be preferable, in my opinion, but it kinda removes the "improvised" part when we'll be rehearsing what we're going to be playing. And that's before I even start talking about the tone, we've been told to use. It sounds nothing like Blues, or at least not like the Blues I've heard. I mean, come on... It's supposed to be a Blues Jam, right? Then why is the Gain dialed to 0? Blues needs a little Gain to sound right.

Another thing that bugs me mindlessly is being told only to use the A Minor Pentatonic Scale, and only the box-pattern starting at the 5th fret on the E-string. That's quite a restriction, I'd say. I tried improvising some stuff using the Dorian, Minor, Major and Phrygian scales at different points today, and I got told that I should stop hitting notes outside the Pentatonic Scale. Why should I stick to one pattern of the Minor Pentatonic Scale, when I know a few other scales that could also sound good? Or heck, when I know the Minor Pentatonic Scale by Intervals, and not just the basic box-pattern?

At least I get to use my own guitar, strap and picks. Right now, I'm seriously starting to second-guess whether signing up for that event was the right call...

Sorry for complaining about it, but it does frustrate me a lot, having thousands of restrictions placed upon me, regarding a simple Blues Jam... I really don't like to do stuff when I have absolutely no control over anything other than whether my pick hits the strings it's supposed to or not...
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...