View post (Open Mic)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
02/27/2014 6:05 am
Slipin: So I should just rehearse a few songs so I can play them as tight as possible? Is there usually any rule regarding originals vs. covers in this situation? I don't know for sure if the opening band that night is going to act as "house band" that people can go up and play with. I'll have to check out the place before actually participating in the jam night, just so I learn how things work there :)

Fretsmith: You're lucky to have several venues that offer this opportunity near you. Where I live, there's only one actual venue, and a handful pubs and bars, and they aren't the best places to play. At all. The venue is oversaturated with Blues and Jazz (it was built specifically to give these genres a place to be played after all), and the pubs usually just have a television showing either a soccer match or VH1, because live music is too expensive. The only way to actually get permission to play at those pubs and bars is to either play for free, or make sure people buy lots of drinks., and in most cases still play for free.

This is the first time that a pubin my town outright invites people to come play. They probably do it for the increased draw it gives when a pub does have live music, but I have a feeling some musicians are still going to show up, just to get a chance to play. I'm definitely going to bring my guitar and leave it in the back of the car. That way, I can see how it works, and if it looks fun, I can go out, grab my guitar (and get some fresh air), and go back in to take the stage when the chance comes. I'm not quite sure how long they allow each person to be up there, but there's only two ways to find out. Call them, or better yet, go there on the night :) I'll have to see if anyone I know can come, just to have a kind of support group so I won't be playing for only complete strangers, even if I'm playing with strangers.

In any case, it's gonna be a new experience for me. If I can manage to get a few people I know (friends and family) to come along, great. If not, I'll have to go alone and have someone else film my timeslot on the stage :) I'm still going to wait until April before I go and actually play, so I don't have as much to worry about away from the guitar (and I'll have a lot more practice/rehearsal time starting in April and May).
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...