View post (Open Mic)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
02/27/2014 12:29 am
I didn't realize how fortunate I was to live where there are a LOT of open mic venues. It seems a lot of bars are doing mic nights in place of hired bands for the obvious fiscal advantage.

Every venue seems to have it's own interpretation of what "open mic/jam night" means. At some a garage-type band plays all night and it's rare to see anyone else join them (lots and lots of blues). At some you'll see start-up bands show up and test their stuff on a live audience- in between the regulars. At the really good ones there's someone in charge making sure anyone that would like to play - will play. They will ask you what you would like to do. If there's someone else there with same song or similar ambition they will put you in with them. Either way they will work you in. These are very enjoyable to watch and generally well attended. The novice gets the same applause as the career musician.

I've never seen an open mic venue that didn't have it's clique.The same people who show up every week, have gotten real comfortable there, and pretty much control and dominate. To me that's a pretty intimidating scenario .... I just want to have fun - not try to win the approval of the "home team".

I don't mean to put you off the opportunity Kasperow - definitely go. If all you do is meet some like-minded people it will be time well invested. What I do is leave my guitar in the trunk of my car and just listen and scope on the vibe - if I feel I (more often "we" because I always go with a guitar buddy) would fit in (or, more accurately, are good enough) then I/we can go get the guitars.

Good luck, I'll be anxious to hear "how they do it in Denmark"

l