View post (Open Mic)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
02/26/2014 4:25 pm
I just read through the local newspaper, and much to my surprise (and pleasure, I might add), I saw that a local pub is going to start having Open Mic sessions the first Thursday evening each month! It's not a lot, but it's the first time since I started playing guitar, that any pub in my town even has live-music playing. I'm thinking that going to one of those Open Mic sessions is going to be a great way to get out there, show others what I can do, possibly find a band or some folks to start one with, and generally help motivate me to become a better guitarist and musician. This is like a perfect opportunity for me, but I'm not sure about the general rules about Open Mic sessions, as I've never even seen one.

I know that, as they wrote in the newspaper, all genres and styles are allowed, from Jazz, Swing and Blues to Hard Rock, Glam Metal and Death Metal, but that's all I know about this opportunity.

My biggest concern is: Do you normally have to bring your own guitar to Open Mics? The pub says they'll arrange for two Guitar Amps, a Bass Amp, a PA system and a Drum-kit to be available for those Open Mics, so I'd suspect that people have to bring their own Guitars, Pedals and Cables, but I'm not sure if this is how it normally is at Open Mic sessions?
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...