View post (Learning to play by ear)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
02/23/2014 3:11 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Kasperow > Relax...yep....that is the ticket. Some guys even barely touch the strings. I'm a little more heavy handed in some ways (I love a deep and digging bend) but being able to let physics do the work and not your hand is really important.

I've taught a coupla people in my day and I noticed that to a person, they all wanted to give the neck a death grip. I'd tell them to do an experiment: Hover your hand over the low E string (second fret) but don't touch it. Start picking the open string. Then slowly lower your finger on to the string (which will flat out at first) but continue to apply very light pressure only until the string rings true. Then stop. You will realize how little pressure it takes to make the string ring.

I just tried this, and it's true. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to fret a note cleanly. I'm starting to improve a lot in that aspect, which is actually very important, as it means I waste less energy, which by extent means that I'll be able to go on for a lot longer than if I play like I used to (which often got pretty close to "choke the guitar to death"...)

I also, for some unknown reason, managed to play a couple of christmas carols by ear just now... I don't know why. I haven't heard them since christmas and it's a little out of season, I'd say... Approximately 9 months or so... But on the bright side, I managed to play something I heard in my head just fine :)
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...