View post (Learning to play by ear)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
02/20/2014 10:19 pm
Agreed. Especially since in most of the stuff I like, there's often only 1 guitarist, and even when they have two guitars, the Lead still plays the Rhythm Riffs on most occasions. I know Joe Perry and Slash both do it a lot (yes, I love using those two as examples. I love their playing).

I don't know what this other guy's ultimate goals are, but if he's up for it, this might be the beginning of a potentially successful band :) My teacher also knows that the best way to improve is to jam with others, so she'll probably manage to convince him to at least try it.

I also just watched some old video clips I had stored on my phone, from my pre-Les Paul days. I can honestly say that I've improved since then... in every way imaginable.

All I can really do now is wait and find out if this guy wants to try it or not, and in the meantime, practice some stuff and try learning some songs by ear. Early Aerosmith should be simple to figure out. They had a whole lot of 12-Bar Blues, so how hard can that be? It'll be a good start before I move on to their more famous stuff like Cryin' or Train Kept A Rollin'.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...