View post (Learning to play by ear)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
02/20/2014 8:35 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorI'm not a big GnR fan, but that song always cracks me up. The music and melody sound like a syrupy pop tune, but the lyrics are dark and distrubing ("...and I buried her in my backyard...").

Glad it all went over well!! Certainly if the neighbors are singing along, they shouldn't be complaining!!

I'd love to hear some of what you've been doing if you can figure out how to make a recording somehow.

Yeah. It's probably the catchy pop song-like melody that does the trick.

Good news: There's an upcoming "talent show"-like ever at my music school, where all students are invited to come and play some stuff if they want. My teacher told me this earlier and asked me if I wanted to try it, and why not? I can play for friends and family, why not take the next step and show other musicians what I can do in a Live-Concert context? My teacher is going to ask another of her students with similar tastes in music (although he's more Rolling Stones while I'm more Guns N' Roses) if he wants to try playing together! I hope he accepts, so we can find out what song(s) to play (I don't know how many songs we are allowed to play). There is a small dilemma, though... Our teacher wants us to just play some 12-Bar Blues jamming for our entire slot, while I want to play an actual song, preferably some GNR or Aerosmith, since Slash and Joe Perry are my two main "Guitar Gods". And we have no clue what he wants to play, except for something simple with chords he can strum. So it's gonna be fun figuring out that puzzle. I'm sure we can find a way to make all of us happy (Aerosmith does have a bunch of 12-Bar Blues on the Draw The Line and Honkin' On Bobo albums, after all, and most likely other albums as well).

I also saw that there's a rehearsal room available at the school, possibly for free since there was no price or contact info anywhere. If we decide to try playing together, we can probably use that to rehearse the stuff we settle on. My teacher also talked about asking a song-teacher if he has any interested students. If so, it could be fun to add in a Drummer and a Bassist, just to have full backing! Otherwise, I'll just play Knocking On Heaven's Door. Alone. On-stage. In front of dozens, if not more, strangers...

It could also be fun to just say "screw it, we'll do an original song" and see if we can come up with something we can all settle on :)

At least I'm looking at my first chance to play for strangers, since I started playing guitar by my own will :) Last time I did that was before I even cared about music, and just had to because it was an obligatory part of school.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...