View post (Learning to play by ear)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
02/19/2014 9:46 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorSounds like a plan Kasperow! Just like everything else with guitar, the more you do it, the better you'll get at it. And the better you get at it, you can start to do it in real time and play what you hear in your head. That's the holy grail! Perhaps I'll get there one day myself :-).

Back when I was your age (God I sound old!! - it wasn't all that long ago...) we either had to buy tab books, learn from another player, or learn it by ear. We'd mash the rewind button on a tape player to keep repeating a section to get a part down or record a portion of a song 10 times in a row on a tape. Oh, the good o'le days :-). There was no slowing things down or a/b repeat.

BTW, did you have that performance you were building the setlist for yet? How did it go if you did?

Yeah, I did it and had some fun with it (and annoying the neighbors by cranking the volume. And yes, I mean CRANKING the volume). Most of the song went over with them pretty well, especially Knocking On Heaven's Door, Whole Lotta Rosie, Smoke On The Water and Sweet Child O' Mine. Not surprising, though, since they're all pretty upbeat and famous tunes... And then there was "I Used To Love Her", which, despite the lyrical dissonance, actually went over with them pretty well... I suppose it's the upbeat nature of the song that did it :)

Judging by the talk afterwards, it seems I'll be doing it again sometime. Hopefully the neighbors won't be complaining in the morning next time, although we could easily hear them singing along to Knocking and Smoke... Don't complain if you indulge :) Next time I'll just have to learn a few more songs. Maybe even consider adding a few pop classics, just to appease my pop-loving audience... With my newfound capabilities (increased picking speed thanks to a professional's advice, and increased fretting hand speed thanks to Rocksmith 2014's mini-games, it should be possible to learn a few more songs before mid-April, even if it's just to the point where I can play the rhythm guitar parts :)
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...