View post (Learning to play by ear)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
02/19/2014 7:58 pm
Henrik Linde: Yeah, I know that my ears are supposed to be one of my best tools as a guitarist, which is why I want to try to learn some stuff. That way, they'll have to become better :) I already know Bob Dylan's probably most famous tune, "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", though I usually play the Guns N' Roses version of it (same chord progression, just tuned down a half-step and heavier overall sound), but that's all I know by him, but I might dig a bit deeper into him, and maybe some Dire Straits if they're not too hard...

Maggior: That actually sounds like a good idea. I think that generally, I'm being too modest about my own abilities, so I always think "Damn, that sounds hard" every time I hear something I like. As I found out last night, while trying to learn Slash's solos to Knockin' On Heaven's Door (instead of just improvising something when playing it), the first solo is actually easier than it first sounded. Just like the solo to Motley Crue's "Without You", it sounds a bit more complex than it really is, because of the quick successive bends in different positions (in Knockin', that is. Without You just requires a slide, which I realized after hours of trying to get it to sound right, even when playing by tabs).

I'll try and listen closer when I get the chance. I know there's one Aerosmith record and a lot of 80's Rock that really provokes that "this is what I want to do"-feeling. If only I could remember which of their albums it is... I can recognize it when I hear it. So starting with some of those songs might be a good place to start.

As for figuring out the chords, that would be even easier if I knew exactly how to tell what key a given song is in. I could probably deduce that from the Chords as well, but it would be handy to know how to do both :)
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...