Make It With You

gazstaf
Full Access
gazstaf
Full Access
02/19/2014 5:39 am
Hi Mike, Garry from Sydney Australia here, a few of things.

First I really enjoy your teaching style.

Secondly, I am struggling just a bit with the rhythm in Make It With You, the timing of the change to the A type chord in the intro and also keeping that wonderful strum pattern going the whole song, my right hand tends to wander off into some other place. So any ideas on how to improve my technique?

Thirdly, can you recommend a song or songs that fit into that style of play, you know wonderful voicings and great strum patterns, something that makes my acoustic playing stand out.

Once again thanks for being here on guitar tricks
Ciao
Garry
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/20/2014 4:01 pm
Hi Garry! Glad to hear you are enjoying the lessons.

Any time you find yourself struggling with some technique, in this case - strumming, itā€™s always best to simplify what you are doing at first. So what I would suggest is to just work on hitting the accents of the chords, and worry about all the in-between strumming later. The main strumming pattern of the song accents on beat 1, the and-of-2, and beat 4 of every measure. Try strumming only on those beats, and once the pattern becomes second nature, try adding in a few lighter strums in between wherever it feels natural. There is also no substitute for repetition, so practice often, and eventually, your muscle memory will take over, and wonā€™t even need to think about it anymore.

That move to the A chord in the intro falls on the 4th beat of the bar. Incorporate this move as you practice strumming the accents only. With lots of repetition and hard work, I think youā€™ll find the move become easier and easier!

Other acoustic songs that I would recommend in this style are Ventura Highway and Change The World, right here on the site!

Hope this helps,
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
gazstaf
Full Access
gazstaf
Full Access
02/21/2014 5:59 am
Mike thanks for your reply and your recommendations.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.