View post (Hopeless Student.)

View thread

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
11/29/2019 3:07 pm

Find people who you can play music with. Don't worry about how well it sounds, just make noise. Get comfortable with jamming with others and you may well find that there are many people along the way who can help you. Be it a cool chord progression, a good lick, insight into theory or just a friend you can make music with. Just get together, get comfortable, and howl at the moon. That is how music got started in the first place.

Something I also found useful in gathering these groups is to have some percussion instruments available. 5 guitars all playing the same chords can easily get muttled and having a steady beat can really help keep everybody on track. It will also help you to get rhythum down deep in your spine, muscles, and bones... which is where you actually learn this stuff.

After all it all comes down to rhythum.

In fact I have always maintained that melody, lyrics, harmony, and tone color are all there just to keep the mind distracted while the bass and drums work the real magic. If you can get their asses moving, their hearts and minds will soon follow. When people dance, even if they have no clue about the deeper understanding of the music, it is rhythum that carries them. I have found that percussion is the easiest way to join in a song you don't know or don't yet have the guitar skill for. Make noise and keep at it.

MOST IMPORTANT... HAVE FUN. I repeat...HAVE FUN!

Captcha is a total pain in the........