View post (Private Lesson from Joe Satriani)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
02/02/2014 2:37 pm
Hi Guys- I concur, that was a really interesting watch. I'd be happy to get a lesson from the "student"!

For me, it's funny how something like this will, on the one hand, motivate and excite me ... and at the same time kinda kick the ego down a few notches and remind me, on a relative scale (pun intended), that I'm really much lower on the skills totem than I sometimes give myself credit for. Very humbling.

Same scene when I go out to hear live (local) bands. If the guitarist is just a little better than me it really fires me up and makes me want to push.I'll get home and play immediately till 3-4 a.m. But, If the guitarist is WAY better than me I might not pick up a guitar for a couple of days and kind of sulk musically. Not that I didn't enjoy it immensely, it just sets the bar high and I need to come to terms with what "league" I'm (really) in.

Established acts are different. I EXPECT them to be great ( and significantly better than myself ) so the ego doesn't take a bruising.

Can anybody relate? I'm not suggesting this is, at all, a healthy attitude ...I just wonder if anyone else ever feels like a scolded dog after they've been "schooled" by a vastly superior player? ((even if it's that 13 yr old kid at Guitar Center smoking thru "Eruption".... for 45 min .... :)

T-Care Y'all