View post (Private Lesson from Joe Satriani)

View thread

maggior
maggior
02/01/2014 2:56 am
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardEnjoyed the private lesson video... agreed with everything that he recommended. You guys might not believe this, but I recognized the Lydian scale right away... as soon as he said "if I play this..." I blurted out to my wife "that's Lydian!"... good to know at least I'm on the right track.

Hope you get your gear back Axe!

That's cool!!! He's big on ear training, so you are definitely on the right path. Was your wife impressed, or were you met with "that's nice...". :-)The way you illustrated modes was how I finally got it. I went to our piano and demonstrated to my wife with the C scale, and then the Am scale. Same notes, different mood and sound....AH HAH!! My wife's response was "oh, OK". She plays piano, but never got into modes and stuff.

For me, I'm doing better with my knowledge of the fretboard and am getting much better with the fretboard trainer. I wish it went the other way - find the note C# on the 2nd string - that sort of thing. That's really what you are after when you are "in the moment".