View post (Joining a band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
01/24/2014 9:37 pm
So I'm pretty excited to have the opportunity to play in a band for the first time in 30 years or so. The big difference here is this band will actually play in front of an audience. A local music store here has a small performing arts hall and as part of their music instruction they put rock bands together. They recently expanded it to adults and non-students. It's like the School of Rock if you are familiar with that.

It's for 8 weeks and we are assigned a mentor that will guide us along. He chose the first song for us to work on - "Wild Nights" by Van Morrison. Not on top of my list of songs to play, but this is more about the experience of playing with other musicians, not learning cool guitar riffs and stuff.

We will have 2 performances - the last one being a "headliner". It will be interesting to see what we come up with as a name for ourselves.

This is going to be so much fun! Who knows, this could lead to other playing opportunities.

My family thinks it's cool, but I think my 10 year old daughter will be mortified if any of her friends are in the audience :-).