Blues jam in Bm

maggior
maggior
01/07/2014 1:50 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowI've tried Audacity before, and honestly, I wasn't too pleased with it. I simply found it too bothersome to use. I've never heard of Adobe Audition, but I have lots of great experiences with Adobe's software, so I think I'll try that out. I'm pretty sure there was a Download Link where I found the backing track, so it shouldn't be that big a problem. If nothing else, I can have the computer play the backing track so I can hear it, and have the Mic record my own playing only and then adjust the volumes accordingly afterwards. How hard can it be?

Adobe Audition is great. I've been using it since it was Cool Edit before Adobe bought it from Syntrillium.

Good point - play back on your PC and record on your phone. Then import the recording into a second track in audition and nudge it to sync them up. Shouldn't be too hard.
# 1
matonanjin
matonanjin
01/07/2014 2:42 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorAdobe Audition is great. I've been using it since it was Cool Edit before Adobe bought it from Syntrillium.

Wow!, Rich. We are showing our age!!!!! lol I still use Cool Edit. Not for recording guitar. I use Reaper for that. But I still use Cool Edit for digital file editor.

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 2
maggior
maggior
01/07/2014 3:05 pm
Originally Posted by: matonanjinWow!, Rich. We are showing our age!!!!! lol I still use Cool Edit. Not for recording guitar. I use Reaper for that. But I still use Cool Edit for digital file editor.

How do you like Reaper compared to Cool Edit? I downloaded an eval to check it out. What are the advantages of Reaper vs. Cool Edit (audition)?

I was using Cool Edit 2000 until it wouldn't work properly with Windows 7. I was able to get an educational copy of Audition cheaply. Now you can download version 3 for free from Adobe.
# 3
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/07/2014 8:49 pm
Well, I tried. And it didn't work. I had everything set up so it should work and it has worked before, so I have no idea why it didn't work this time. Next possible solution: Find out if my family's iPad has a better mic than my phone and headset. Or use duct tape to hold the phone as close to the Amp as physically possible. A shame my headset-solution didn't work as well as I had hoped... I almost managed to play something that sounded good...
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 4
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/07/2014 10:27 pm
I'm sure you've thought of this already, but doesn't your amp have a connection for your computer? Its advertised as having one...
# 5
matonanjin
matonanjin
01/08/2014 12:53 am
Rich, honestly, and I'm embarrassed about this, I can't compare them. I love Cool Edit for what I used it for. That was, as I said, for file editing. I used it for language file recording and editing. Almost always just mono files. This was before my trying to learn guitar. It never occurred to me to use it for a DAW. (And I still run Windows XP so never had issues with compatibility.)

When I started to learn guitar and finally started to dab my toe in recording everyone on the forums was raving about Reaper. So I just bought it and started learning it! I guess I'll have to go back and look at Cool Edit for multitrack recording.

Sorry I can't give a better comparative analysis.

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 6
maggior
maggior
01/08/2014 3:00 am
No problem. I used Cool Edit to record, edit, track, and denoise recordings I made from my vinyl collection. It's actually Cool Edit Pro that was a multitrack recording application, which is now Adobe Audition.

When I hit a burn out point with guitar, I'll take a closer look at Reaper in case it does something I can't in Adobe Audition.

Regarding recording with they Mustang II amp, here's a link that might help:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/264435-fender-mustang-usb-recording.html

The only drawback is you can't playback into the amp - so you can't play your backing track through your amp. Not sure how that would work with distortion and stuff anyway.

So you would have to record into your PC using your amp while playing your backing track from another source. Then, load both your backing track and recorded guitar track into something like Adobe Audition or Reaper, sync them up, set levels, etc. etc.
# 7
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/08/2014 5:04 am
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardI'm sure you've thought of this already, but doesn't your amp have a connection for your computer? Its advertised as having one...

Yes, it does have a USB Connection. I just still haven't figured out how to quickly connect it and set it up as an Audio Interface. I guess I'll have to learn that before I can try recording. Last time I tried, it took over an hour and it still wasn't done correctly. So there's a reason I didn't try this first.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 8
matonanjin
matonanjin
01/08/2014 4:01 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorNo problem. I used Cool Edit to record, edit, track, and denoise recordings I made from my vinyl collection. It's actually Cool Edit Pro that was a multitrack recording application, which is now Adobe Audition.

When I hit a burn out point with guitar, I'll take a closer look at Reaper in case it does something I can't in Adobe Audition.

OK. Good. Now I don't feel quite as dumb. And, yes, that is similar to how I used it. I also recorded some of my vinyl stuff to mp3's. I got a lot more that I need to record yet. And, again, I was recording a lot of language phrases was the main thing.

The thing to keep in mind about Reaper, besides the fact it's cheap, is that they have a free trial period. And to be completely honest, after the initial trial period, it doesn't quit working. You just get nags. I tried it for a while and then gave up on recording for awhile. When I came back and loaded it again it was many months past the trial period. It worked no problem. I went ahead and bought it but a guy could keep evaluating until you're comfortable with it.

# 9
911JB
911JB
02/02/2014 6:27 pm
I just listened to this for the first time. Great job Maggior ! My wife was sitting right here when I was listening to it and loved it also.

JB
# 10
maggior
maggior
02/04/2014 9:37 pm
Thanks JB! I really appreciate the feedback.
# 11

02/10/2014 1:31 am
Originally Posted by: maggiorOk, here is part 2. This is me jamming to a blues jam track in Bm. This was a revelation to me because I decided to record myself jamming over the track to see what would happen. I didn't think much of it until I played it back...and I thought "I just did that!!". It goes to show you how important it is to be able to listen to yourself playing from a recording - you get a totally different perspective.

Now, there are a few glaring clangers in there. I'm not used to playing in Bm, so I hit a few bad spots there. All things considered, I thought it came out pretty good. So, please ignore those if you can.

This was totally free form and I decided not to edit out that bad parts. In my opinion, you can hear that I'm feeling things out in the beginning and things flesh out more in the last half of the track.

For those that care, this is my American Standard strat on the neck pickup played into the "US blues" amp simulation in my Zoom G5 pedal with some reverb added.

What do you think? Is this any good?

Here's the link:
https://app.box.com/s/kfesf6m4se73auvdhzee
WHAT CAN I SAY OTHER THEN THE FACT I LOVED IT.THAT WAS SOME REALLY SMOOTH PLAYING.I GOT TELL YA I ENJOYED EVERY BIT OF IT I SEE SOMEONE HAS BEEN DOING THERE HOMEWORK LOL.GREAT JOB MAGGIOR,KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.BTW I LIKE UR TONE SOUNDED GREAT,AND THAT TONE IS FROM THE G5 ZOOM.I MAY HAVE TOO GET ME ONE .THUMBS UP.BUDDY I WOULD LIKE TO DO THAT TOO LAY DOWN A TRACK,BUT THANKS TO YOU MY FRIEND IT MAY NOT SOUND SO GOOD LOL.BUT REALLY I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN HOW TO DO THAT.I HAVE KNOW IDEA.HATS OFF TO YA.
# 12
maggior
maggior
02/10/2014 2:03 pm
Thanks Axe - I really appreciate the feedback!!! I'm very happy you enjoyed listening. I'm a sucker for the fat smooth sound of the neck pickup on a strat, so that tone always inspires me.

I've been working on expanding out of the pentatonic box, so once I have some of that under my belt, I'll post something else. Maybe in a month or two. The PC I use to record and do guitar tricks lessons on crashed, so I have to wait for my new hard drive to arrive and reinstall everything :-(. Band practice starts this week too...

When you get back in action, I'd love to hear some of your playing. If you can play Satch Boogie, I'm sure you got some chops - we'd love to hear 'em!!
# 13

02/10/2014 8:15 pm
If i dont play sacth boogie,will TINY TIM DUE.LOL .ISNT THAT THREAD FOR ORIGINALS ONLY?.
# 14

02/10/2014 8:18 pm
Will try to figure this out.how too record and post.i have know clue.but yeah man ill lay down sacth boogie.
# 15
maggior
maggior
02/11/2014 2:31 am
Hey Axe -

Satch Boogie or something of your own creation. I had a surprising experience here - I posted a recording my rendition of the "Let it Be" solo at the same time as I posted this blues jam. Look at the number of comments here vs. the "Let it Be" solo. The feedback on this jam was overwhelming...on the Beatles solo...not so much.

So, satch boogie would be cool...but what I think we'd all really love to hear is something of your own, even if it is over a simple chord progression.

Let me know if you need any more help on getting something like this together. It's a blast...believe me!

Cheers!
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.