View post (tone)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
12/21/2013 4:08 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2so i was wacthin scott groov on you tube,and he went on for about an hour saying that the wood ur guitar is made of has nothin to do with tone it has.
is this guy nuts,it has everythin to do with how ur axe sounds.
and he went on to say,you can take out the pickups on a high dollor guitar and pop them in a cheap guitar and there would be no difference in tone.idk but i dont think he knows what hes talkin about.as paul reed smith says every nook and granny effects ur tone.not just the wood but the kinda of finish ,how thick or thin the finish,the tuneing keys ect all has to do with a good soundin guitar.who with me on this.i was gonna post the video,but he has a filthy mouth,and idk if there are kids on gt.

That's just silly talk. Do we sometimes overemphasize the value of the wood (ie - by paying 10K for a guitar)? Sure. That said, such a point like 'wood has nothing to do with it' is just not correct.

I would suggest that the more you process a signal from a guitar, the less that 'wood' effect would make.

I've had Strat's, Les Paul's, ES's, 3 Kramer's in the 80's (Focus, Baretta and Pacer) and all had something different about them. Sure, pick up configuration matters, tailpiece matters...heck, even the pots matter! But without the wood (or other material for a body), the guitar has nothing. Without resonance, you have an awfully quiet metal alloy string you're plucking in the air.