tone

12/20/2013 3:06 am
so i was wacthin scott groov on you tube,and he went on for about an hour saying that the wood ur guitar is made of has nothin to do with tone it has.
is this guy nuts,it has everythin to do with how ur axe sounds.
and he went on to say,you can take out the pickups on a high dollor guitar and pop them in a cheap guitar and there would be no difference in tone.idk but i dont think he knows what hes talkin about.as paul reed smith says every nook and granny effects ur tone.not just the wood but the kinda of finish ,how thick or thin the finish,the tuneing keys ect all has to do with a good soundin guitar.who with me on this.i was gonna post the video,but he has a filthy mouth,and idk if there are kids on gt.
# 1
maggior
maggior
12/20/2013 3:56 am
Just playing my strat vs. my lp with no amp I can tell you there is a huge difference in tone between the two. Is the wood the only parameter of tone? No, but it's a significant parameter.

I call BS :-).
# 2
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
12/20/2013 2:04 pm
Everything affects tone but at a small level. But the thing is, those little differences/nuances add up to create unique sounding guitars. I have played a couple of fender american strats in my short musicians life and I can tell you they where all similar sounding but they all add that little something different at the same time. But the 2 major aspects of tone are the players hand and feel and the amp thats for sure .
# 3
maggior
maggior
12/20/2013 2:52 pm
Definitely the amp and the player's hands are key to tone. If you pile enough effects on your sound too, the tone of the guitar and even the ammp gets totally lost.
# 4
fretsmith
fretsmith
12/20/2013 4:48 pm
Scott Grove ... grrrrrr. He's like looking at an accident scene- you know you shouldn't look, you're not going to like what you see, you regret it the moment you finish looking and yet you go back and look some more. I find him completely unlikeable, arrogant and unrefined. His schtick is to take complex issues and over simplify them or take basic,simple issues and over complicate them. His language and very "average" playing abilities give him no credibility at all, yet he has a LOT to say. Ugh. I can't help but wonder however, who is he and what has he done to accomplish that very impressive collection of guitars/gear? Anybody know?
# 5

12/20/2013 8:51 pm
Like He Was Gettin At If I Take Out My Prs 59/09 Pickups From My Prs Custom 24 Thin Body V12 Finish Ect,and Put Those Pickups In A Heavy Fat Les Paul,i Would Here The Same Tone ,or Even If I Put My 59/09s In The Cheapist Guitar You Can Find It Would Still Sound Just Like My Prs C24.now How In The World Can That Make Any Sence At All.if That Was The Case I Could Of Saved $3000.00,and Just Buy The Pickups And Slap Them In To Any Old Guitar.this Guy Is Such A Moron Hes Annoyin And Makes No Sence At All,and Yeah I Would Like To Know How He Got The Axe Collection.btw It Was The First And Last Time I Seen This Bozo....and He Gives Guitar Lessons He Must Be Kidding.limited Free Lessons,or Pay $5 For All Lessons.horrible.and I Hate Too Knock Ppl Down Thats Not How I Roll,but My God This Dude Idk The Word Im Lookin For Other Then Stupid...
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/21/2013 4:08 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2so i was wacthin scott groov on you tube,and he went on for about an hour saying that the wood ur guitar is made of has nothin to do with tone it has.
is this guy nuts,it has everythin to do with how ur axe sounds.
and he went on to say,you can take out the pickups on a high dollor guitar and pop them in a cheap guitar and there would be no difference in tone.idk but i dont think he knows what hes talkin about.as paul reed smith says every nook and granny effects ur tone.not just the wood but the kinda of finish ,how thick or thin the finish,the tuneing keys ect all has to do with a good soundin guitar.who with me on this.i was gonna post the video,but he has a filthy mouth,and idk if there are kids on gt.

That's just silly talk. Do we sometimes overemphasize the value of the wood (ie - by paying 10K for a guitar)? Sure. That said, such a point like 'wood has nothing to do with it' is just not correct.

I would suggest that the more you process a signal from a guitar, the less that 'wood' effect would make.

I've had Strat's, Les Paul's, ES's, 3 Kramer's in the 80's (Focus, Baretta and Pacer) and all had something different about them. Sure, pick up configuration matters, tailpiece matters...heck, even the pots matter! But without the wood (or other material for a body), the guitar has nothing. Without resonance, you have an awfully quiet metal alloy string you're plucking in the air.
# 7
bookas58
bookas58
12/21/2013 7:34 pm
Where does this guy come from? Maybe his ego overrides his commonsense , either that or he thrives on getting attention by creating controversy. If the latter is the case , best thing to do is ignore him and let him and his ignorance fade into oblivion . I have two Maton solidbodes an MS500 { silkwood } and an MS 2000dlx { maple } , same body shape and bridge setup . Unplugged , there are noticeable differences in tone. Then there's my Gretsch solidbody { mahogany } completely different again.
# 8

12/23/2013 4:50 am
The Type Of Wood On Ur Neck,body Makes The World Of A Difference,and If This Momaluke Doesnt Realize That,then He Ought To Put His 100's Of Guitars Down,and Stop Misleading The Ppl Who Just Dont Know Anybetter.he's Very Convincing Had U Not Known The Truth.....i Think He's An Intentioun Seeker,and Like He Says Now This Is A Qoute.come On And Bring Me The Hate Mail I Love It.so What Does That Tell Ya.anyway I Had Enough Of Him.all I Can Do Is Say A Prayer For Him,.
# 9
bookas58
bookas58
12/23/2013 8:08 pm
Yep , he reminds me of a radio journalist here in Australia by the name of Derryn Hinch . He's so stupid he goes to jail every now and then for commenting on peoples characters before the case goes to court . Just to feed his self righteous ego and keep himself in the headlines . The foul mouth shows a decided lack of skill in the application of the English language . You cannot put brains in monuments and this character obviously has a lot of statues in his ancestry as I said previously ,just ignore him and let him hang himself . I'll even provide the rope { Dyneema , definitely won't break } . On a lighter note , to all the guys at Guitar Tricks , enjoy your festive season . While you are playing in the snow , I'll be sweating it out at 95 degrees and close to 100 percent humidity
# 10
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/24/2013 2:42 am
I just 'discovered' Scott Grove about a week ago and a couple days before the start of this thread. I was surprised to see here the strong feelings about him and his videos. Afterwards I did a Bing search and...geeze...there are dozens of hits about him, his lessons and vids, his guitars, etc. And plenty of commentary in other guitar forums. The strong feelings aren't unique to GT. :D

And then there is this interview; http://www.guitaristnation.com/5363/interview-with-anti-tablature-guitarist-and-businessman-scott-grove/
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 11
aschleman
aschleman
01/03/2014 4:49 am
I don't know where this guy comes from but he doesn't come from an era of guitar players that has any respect for for organic tone... I'm sure this guy processes his sound so much that it would't matter how good or bad his guitar is, his tone is probably still super compressed and soulless. Haven't checked him out and probably will never...

There is a reason that luthiers call the materials 'tonewoods'. This guy sounds like a hack - Offering terrible advice.

There's plenty of information on here and on the internet about the importance of tonewoods in instrument construction.
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.