View post (that feeling of stop improving)

View thread

3donkey
3donkey
11/26/2013 6:30 pm
hi all,

I m sure this issue has been questioned a million time before but I still need some good advice.
I have been playing guitar for about 3 or 4 years, focusing mainly on my technical skills. To do so I always try to pick up songs that are challenging to me and work on them, just as guitartricks taught me. I break down the song, work on every piece, put all together and so on. I actually made a lot of progress this way but lately I m experiencing that bad feeling that even if I keep practicing 4 or 5 hours per day I just don't see myself improving.
I know this is a very common feeling but I just don't know how to handle this.
To be more specific I learned songs like sweet home Alabama, the wind cries mary, little wing, every breath you take, baby I m gonna leave you and others.. I know how to play them all and I can actually do it in a good way. However I still have the feeling that I don't master them, meaning I can play this songs in a decent way but still have to put some effort, even if I keep play them over and over. So I was wondering why is that, and what should I do? Should I just keep working on them till I can play this stuff without any effort "while watching the simpson" or should I try to moving on something more challenging? How do you behave in such situation?

Thank you in advance,
Davide