View post (Scrapyard Dog Plus - Oil City Pickups)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
03/26/2014 8:43 pm
I second that. I just received my pickups recently and finally had the time to sit down and carefully replace the Ceramic Stock-pickups my Les Paul came with.

I chose to buy them in the Zebra-color scheme, because I think that looks coolest, and it shouldn't have any effect on the tone. I've just taken my LP for a test run, and I'm very satisfied with the SD+ set.

I did spend a while chatting with Ash before buying anything, to make sure that I got just the right product, and as soon as I said I wanted something that could give me the Trebly sound of 70's and 80's Rock, he guided me in the direction of the SD+ Pickups. And yes, they can give me a very good Classic Rock tone. But the awesomeness doesn't stop there! I tried running the set through all 8 Amp-models in my Amp just to see how versatile they really are, and I was amazed.

The pickups sound nice when I run them through ANY kind of amp-model, whether it's a Fender '57 Deluxe Reverb, a VOX AC30, an 80's Marshall Amp (I think it's the JCM800, but I'm not sure) or a modern Mesa Boogie Amp. Of course, there are some of the amp models I use more than others (the Marshall, VOX and '57 Deluxe Reverb are the ones I use most), but the fact that they sound good through any amp just goes to prove how versatile they are. They can easily go from a nice clean or slightly dirty Blues-tone to a hard-rocking 80's tone that sounds like Guns N' Roses or Motley Crue.

Pros:
Great quality for the price
Lifetime warranty
Very versatile
Very nice sound

Cons:
The wires were a bit hard to get to fit through the holes when installing the Pickups.

All in all, I'd say these pickups were a great investment. The LP already felt great to play, but now it also SOUNDS great.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...