View post (Scrapyard Dog Plus - Oil City Pickups)

View thread

fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
10/21/2013 11:45 am
This review is for The Scrapyard Dog Plus humbucker pickup by Oil City Pickups UK
www.oilcitypickups.co.uk

This Pickup is from the humbucker range from Oil City Pickups and is priced at £48 for open coils and £58 with nickel covers.

These pickups are hand made in the UK by a guy called Ash who runs the company, actually I think he's the only person who works there. He takes a lot of pride in his work and is happy to talk to you about what you want from your pickups he will even make modifications to suit your needs.
I phoned Ash and spoke to him about the equipment I use and the sound I was after, he then suggested one of his Scrapyard Dog Plus humbuckers for the bridge position in my guitar which is a vintage output, asymmetrically wound pickup with a four conductor output, with alnico 5 magnets and a higher output of 12k . I placed my order and he told me it would take a week for him to make the pickup and get it to me.

My Stratocaster was going to a guitar tech to have new pots, jack plug, switch and wiring plus a full set up so I had the pickup installed at the same time.

I have to say this pickup is incredible for the money, it's hand wound and made in the UK with high quality parts and comes with a lifetime warranty.
For £58 (I ordered the one with nickel covers) you get a lot for your money.

The sound is very clear and it works really well for the classic rock tones through to your 80's metal sound. But even on a clean channel this pickups sounds incredibly warm and would be perfect for blues. With so many uses this pickup is very versatile and you also have the option of wiring it up to have split coils so you can switch between the single coil strat sound and the chunky humbucker sound at the flick of a switch.

Pros - Handmade in the UK form high quality parts
Lifetime Warranty
Good customer service
Very warm sound
Price

Cons - None I can think of

So there we have it www.oilcitypickups.co.uk check them out if you're thinking of upgrading the ones in your guitar.