View post (How to come up with great lyrics?)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
12/17/2013 6:30 am
I think I'm starting to figure out a method that works for me. while on the way to the train station this morning, I found a song name generator online, and gave it a few shots. The suggestions it came with were actually not as horrible as some other random generators I've seen. One of the suggestions, however, was so profound that it got stuck inside my head for a while, and I tried to put a simple rhythm to it. Then the lyrics just came naturally (second time I've experienced this). The result: A complete song with a slightly altered standard structure. First off all, it doesn't rhyme just for the sake of rhyming. The Bridge section between the two solos doesn't even rhyme at all. It just sounded better without rhyming, so I chose to leave it out.

The lyrics aren't perfect, and there's plenty of room for improvement, but it helps me get something to work with. In short, what I've found out works is finding a title or a good line, then coming up with a riff that fits as an intro, and just forcing myself to improvise lyrics on-the-go. It has actually worked out pretty well so far.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...