View post (Why Gibson prices are so high?)

View thread

James8831
James8831
05/06/2002 4:44 pm
Given the [u]electrical[/u] problems my Gibson has
:mad: I have to agree with Pony One and say my choices for twin bucker "LP" guitars are now in the Yamaha AES/X range,ESP EC300 and Gordon Smith..most guitar magazines rate the Heritage as different but as good as an LP..If I ever see one in the UK I'll let you know..

Some reasons prices are so high seem to be 1.) We'll put up with/expect it 2.) The increasing cost and use of hard drugs in Nashville. 3.) The cost of making those unusual custom shop guitars- beautiful,but how do they defer the cost?- and those wierd experiments they come up with once on the crack pipe "artistic visions",indeed..
4.)Those guitars they give away have to be accounted for you know :) 5.) not least The old profit margin.

I've played a Nashville Gibsons [90s] and Kalamazoo Gibsons [70s/80s] it seems that the price has gone up and the quality down.

Watch Korea the guitars are getting much better.

I'd guess that the "Lawsuit" guitar makers (Tokai,Ibanez,etc) really showed us what Gibson's attitude was to the whole deal.."Your guitar looks better..it probably is better and cheaper..we can't make a big profit competing against those" so Gibson takes out the lawsuit instead of shoring up their production
and QUALITY CONTROL issues and streamlining production to ensure that their product was the real deal and bought because of it's sound,playabilty and quality..rather than the name on the headstock.

I'll keep my Gibson because it's very playable and quite solid - I can just about put up with some QC probs at £400, but I believe that they also occur on £1400 guitars.

Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..