View post (Practice Routine)

View thread

maggior
maggior
07/25/2013 4:15 pm
Efficient practice is certianly important, especially if you want to improve. However, be careful about how rigid you are about this. Sometimes it's OK to take a break from the "routine".

One day, you will find yourself going to your practice area and thinking to yourself "ugh, time to run through !". It will be work and you will completely uninspired. When this happens, rather than slogging through it for the sake of it, allow yourself a break and play whatever inspires you at that moment. Play something you've learned that you enjoy, even if it is rediculously easy. Playing along with a jam track you enjoy. Play along with a CD and just noodle around.

Basically, as long as you hold the guitar in your hands and play some music, it is not time wasted. This will help you improve too!!

For the past few months, I have not had the time to go through any lessons. I've been practicing some lessons I did go through, some songs I've learned, and jamming along with some songs. These practice "sessions" last from 5 mintues to 30 minutes - probably 10 minutes on average. My ear has improved, my speed has increased, and my improvisation has gotten less redundant.

Could I have made better progress with a "structured" routine? Certainly. But my situation didn't allow for it, so I made the best of what time I had.

So if you find yourself getting bogged down, rather than skipping practice because it's becoming "work", use the time to do something with your guitar, even if it is just aimless "noodling".