View post (Practice Routine)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/25/2013 3:32 pm
I think most of us were introduced to scales soon after we picked up the guitar. Shortly thereafter, we were warned to not let learning scales dominate our practice time...I certainly was.

This video from the great ( :) ) Justin Sandercoe of justinguitar.com adds some meat to the reasoning, "you shouldn't learns scales (if) you don't know what you're learning them for."

On the other hand as Justin points out, don't discount the gain in flexibility, picking, coordination, technique, etc., gained from running through the five positions. THAT was my motivation when I started practicing major and minor pentatonic and, happily, when I hit GT lessons that called upon those capabilities I could concentrate on the *music* rather than building my muscle memory, i.e., my skill level was more than ready for those lessons.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins