Of Identity and Style

TravisWright
TravisWright
05/28/2013 2:46 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorHow could I love Miles and not Trane!?!? :-). Yes, Coltrane is in my collection too. "Giant Steps" and "Blue Trane" stand out for me.

"Kind of Blue" is a recording I just cannot tire of. The groove on some of those tracks is just amazing. Bill Evans is another fave of mine in the Jazz genre.

I've read over Wildwoman's post and of course she's hit any points I brought up in a much more eloquent fashion!

I'm not sure I understand your point "...is quite the undertaking if you the person even cares." One could say you become yourself just by existing, you can't help it. However, should you care to direct it or care to be aware of what you've become, you can but it takes some effort. Is that what you are saying?

Wow, I'm getting way over my head with this philosophical stuff :-).

Hey Maggior... had to take a break due to life but, what I meant was many guitarists don't get past shredding or mimicking their heroes. Nothing wrong with that but when you finally get to advanced levels of playing... finding your own identity carries a little more weight. Expressing it the way you see it, feel it, do it is better instead of copying and hiding behind others. Many musicians don't even get to that point. I am only beginning that stage. Finally going through everyone else, to be myself kind of thing. =)

And yes, of Miles, Trane, and Evans... FANTASTIC!!!
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/29/2013 7:06 am
Originally Posted by: TravisWright
It's like when the science world really revealed that MJ actually does 'hang time' and that although you can teach pro athletes to hang, it's better if they just do it. Strengths and weaknesses.

Just so you know, the exact opposite is true... search on-line & YouTube and you'll see they thoroughly debunked "hanging time"... its just the way they control their upper-body that makes them seem to "hang"; in reality, ALL humans jump in a arc... you're either on the way up, or on the way down. Simple physics. Probably a good metaphor for the music business too!
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.