Jam Station revamp

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
04/26/2013 3:12 pm
Hey GT, was using the jam station last night. Really like the new look, way much easier to use. I was mostly in the Rock category, and I found that every track I tried is somewhat off beat on the loop restart. Good practice for a bad drummer I guess ;) But still, I ran through several tracks and all had the same problem. I checked one track in Acoustic, it seemed fine. World is/was not populated yet, so all I can really comment on is the Rock section. Anyone else noticing this?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/27/2013 12:44 am
Thanks for the feedback, Razbo. Just so we know, are you using the Jam Station on a computer or an iPad?
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
04/27/2013 3:37 pm
Computer (laptop technically); same one as before the change and I should make note that the loops all seemed flawless before. The hiccup is in same spot on each track I tried and can be anticipated. I will make note of the track names next time and post them.
# 3
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
04/27/2013 7:04 pm
Hey Razbo,
In order to make the jam tracks work on iOS and Android we had to change them from flash files to mp3 files. mp3s files always glitch when you loop them. So they all should have a glitch when they loop. Is that what you are reporting? Or something different?

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
04/27/2013 8:07 pm
I believe that is what I am reporting. No love for the stationary ;)

However it's not just a skip in the sound if that's what you mean. I was using one of the David Gilmore Lead ones last night, and it had the slight skip, but was on beat more or less.

[Edited for clarity]
# 5
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
04/28/2013 3:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Jon Broderick
In order to make the jam tracks work on iOS and Android we had to change them...
Jon

I found this info with a quick web-search, don't know if it will help:

MP3 Gap Fix:
Do this:

1) go to http://www.compuphase.com/mp3/mp3loops.htm

2) Download "The MP3Loop utility"

3) Create a folder on your desktop, unzip the downloaded file and place mp3loop.exe in that folder

4) Go here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame/files/ and download the lame encoder

5) Put the lame encoder in the SAME folder as the mp3loop.exe

6) Be extra detailed in your looping of your mp3, make sure there are no gaps at all (zoom in to your track)

7) Drag your .mp3 track onto mp3loop.exe

A new .mp3 track will be created that eliminates the gap. Use the new mp3!!

**Note: I have used this tool 20+ times and it works PERFECTLY every time. If you still have a VERY slight gap, it is because you have a gap in your track (that is not created by the mp3 format, but that is created by you). Zoom in on your audio program and remove that gap.[/url]
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
04/30/2013 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickHey Razbo,
In order to make the jam tracks work on iOS and Android we had to change them from flash files to mp3 files. mp3s files always glitch when you loop them. So they all should have a glitch when they loop. Is that what you are reporting? Or something different?

Jon

Just curious... Are they going to stay that way? Do they also glitch on iOS and Android?
# 7
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
04/30/2013 6:20 pm
Hi Razbo,
They are the same everywhere.

Interesting find Slipin Lizard, we'll check it out.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/01/2013 1:59 am
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickHi Razbo,
They are the same everywhere.

Is it possible to still access the old version?
# 9
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/08/2013 9:16 pm
I'm certain my last post got overlooked, not ignored :) So just for the bump, I ask if am I seriously the only person that finds skipping beats to be a concern? Is a measured beat not one of the primary things to learn? I'm just really surprised I'm the only one griping about it. :/
# 10
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/11/2013 7:12 am
Perhaps not. :/ Ok, this will be my last comment/question on the matter. Promise!

I am not concerned with 'everywhere'; it's more about what we had and what we have. Disregarding the OS or interface for the moment, has anyone else played the loops since the change? Maybe it really is a problem on my end/brain. Can others play through the loops in time and not get fu'd on the rhythm?? Jon, have you tried?
# 11
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
05/13/2013 7:34 pm
Hey Razbo,
Sorry you are not happy with the change.

I knew somebody wasn't going to like this. I thought the decision was worth making in order to go with the flow of technology toward mp3, despite its limitations.

I thought most people would be ok with it, because it is the same experience you have with downloaded backing tracks. I am used to it, I have a downloaded jam track library I use, so it doesn't drive me crazy.

I think maybe as we migrate to longer, more complex jam tracks instead of loops, this will seem more natural, because the tracks can have a beginning, middle and end. So of course the end won't loop to the beginning.

Anyway, sorry about it. I wish I could fix it. So far the only idea I have is to make the tracks 4 minutes instead of 2, but that would make them take longer to download, and I wonder what people will think of that.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 12
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/13/2013 8:56 pm
Don't take me too seriously, I'm rarely happy with change. I guess it's the way I was using it, and will have to adapt. I had never downloaded any GT lessons or backing tracks before, so never got used to it any other way.

I assumed i would be speaking for others, but I seem to be alone in it. I do understand your predicament and the need to go for the majority, let alone keeping current with technology. It's all good.
# 13
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/14/2013 4:15 am
...Although I can't seem to download these... Are they what you are referring to that you use, or do you mean something other than GT? Or am I missing an option? (Wouldn't be surprising.)

Also, did you delete the old version? That's really all I was looking for. When I use the jam tracks, I can go for an hour on a track. I have found them great to pick one and pull my (sad) bag of tricks and grind them while falling into any inspirations that come along the way for unlimited durations. (Can you make it an incentive for next year's subscription) ;)

I will just have to start using my looper more. I should do a review on it, It's a Ditto, and totally awesome.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.