View post (Keeping Up the Faith as a Wanna Be Guitar Player)

View thread

ISirius42
ISirius42
04/20/2013 5:01 pm
I'm trying to get some advice on the following.

Do you ever feel like a guitar looser? I've been playing (or tinkering) on guitar for over 20 years. I'm not a beginner, but I'm not a confident player. I've written maybe a dozen or so original songs. I've played live in front of a small group of people (with others) maybe ten or so times. But, I've never experienced that breakthrough moment that I've heard others talk about.

Four years ago, I took paid lessons for a period of a year. Guitar Tricks is maybe the seventh internet guitar instruction site I've subscribed to (relatively speaking, it is very well done). Sometimes I think that maybe I don't have the basics down, so I'll start the guitar fundamentals web lessons but quickly get bored to tears. Then I try to learn a semi-complex song, and I get frustrated because they use some technique that is beyond me.

Sometimes I want to give up, but I really like playing guitar--in fact, I realize that playing helps me cope with job and life stress. Yet, I feel like a poser whenever I try to play with other people.

Tips and suggestions appreciated--even a "You got a witness, brother!"

Jam on!