Which band or artist presented you to rock?

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/09/2016 5:13 pm
My introduction to rock was on the radio in the late 50's with what later became known as Top 40. But my rock guitar influences came later and at about the same time, Link Wray and Dick Dale. I saw Link Wray at a genuine sock hop...in socks, in the school gym in SIlver Spring, MD. It was my first call-her-up-and-ask-her-for-a-date--date. A few months later I was introduced to Dick Dale through Frankie and Annette's Beach Party movie. Curiously, I don't think I ever heard Dale on the radio until the surf music resurgence about 10 years ago.

I still get a warm feeling when I hear either's music...and chills when Misirlou comes on. (playing now
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
RoTel
RoTel
09/10/2016 5:44 am
Got my first LP, Grand Funk Railroad "Live" Album, for Christmas 1970. Paranoid, Are You Ready and Mean Mistreater were my favorite songs. WOW I'm Old!
# 2
StratoGee
Full Access
StratoGee
Full Access
10/26/2016 6:47 pm

Talked my mom into buying a 45 (the only 45 I ever owned) of the Who- I Can See For Miles. Still love that song...then my brother sat on it and broke it. I made such a fuss that she offered to buy another, but I talked her into the Kinks LP - Greatest Hits ( I think it was about $3) and I never looked back. Still have that album, and many more, which I started buying with lawn mowing and paper route money. But the Beatles on Ed Sullivan was what gave me the first Holy Crap moment and made me seek out WLOF on the AM radio. Man I pity the kids of today for the lack of radio, the lack of talent and creativity available, and for the downloading/streaming experience. An mp3 DL just can't compare to listening to both sides of the vinyl (with headphones) and reading every available bit of info on the album cover and the inside sleeve. Yeah I know, older than dirt.

Side note: My daughter is the only one of her peer group that will wear one of her many Beatles t-shirts - and I take full credit for that! ;-)

I pick...therefore I am.

# 3
macRocker
Full Access
macRocker
Full Access
11/02/2016 2:34 am

The Beatles, Stones, Led Zepplin, but the Outlaws and 38 Special really made me want to play guitar.

# 4
jamesvette007
Full Access
jamesvette007
Full Access
12/02/2016 9:49 pm

For me it has to be THE BEATLES first, and then individuals and groups like Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clear Water Revival, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, B. B. King, and Clapton. There are so many others as well.

# 5
gustavowoltmann2016
gustavowoltmann2016
12/16/2016 8:22 am

Hello guys, Gustavo Woltmann here. the band that presented me to rock are Radiohead, Blink 182 and Digital Bass a band from Panama. My favorite songs are Creep, Stay Together for the kids and Whoop. What about yours? [br]__[br]“I finished my first book seventy-six years ago. I offered it to every publisher on the English-speaking earth I had ever heard of. Their refusals were unanimous: and it did not get into print until, fifty years later; publishers would publish anything that had my name on it.” [br]- George Bernard Shaw

# 6
boothissucks
boothissucks
02/13/2017 4:25 am

What got me to want to learn guitar the most would probably be early Def Leppard with Steve Clark. Since I'm not much of a Vivian Campbell fan... Or maybe even Steve Vai I know It will take forever but I'd just love to be able to do half of what he can do on guitar lol...

# 7
pheal
pheal
03/31/2017 5:36 pm

Hello everyone! For me it was Nirvana, David Bowie, Nada Surf, The Cure, Dick Dale, Stone Temple Pilots and most recently The Strokes.

# 8
WarrenG1
WarrenG1
04/08/2017 9:02 pm

A compilation album from The Who called "Meaty, Beaty Big and Bouncy" followed by The Pretenders first album and Quadrophenia

# 9
benlorentzen
benlorentzen
06/05/2018 4:26 pm

Elvis Presley: Jailhouse Rock. I saw it when I was 5 in 1974. The energy has not been matched many times since then.

# 10
manXcat
manXcat
06/05/2018 9:53 pm

Unquestionably The Beatles, 1963. A mid boomer with three older brothers whose teenage years spread across the 50's though 1960, before then I was certainly aware of "music", but my age invoking awareness in 1963 coincided with the ascendance and domination on the radio of The Beatles and their sound.

Later, Free, another very young English band with a heavier sound were the absolute standouts for me.

# 11
bainbridgemusic
bainbridgemusic
03/23/2020 4:30 pm

If I think back to it one band stands out; Pink Floyd.

[br]My dad gave me the darkside of the moon CD which I fell in love with, then the pulse DVD which blew me even further away. My friends liked Korn who had released Another Brick In The Wall Part 2, so it was good to be able to relate.

[br]My dad bought me a delay pedal because the guitar shop owner told him it was want Pink Floyd used. This was my first real piece of equipment. Epic band, Roger Waters was the first concert I ever went to.

# 12
Jackets
Jackets
03/31/2020 2:41 pm

Definately Adam Jones, I distinctly remember watching him play the intro to 'Jambi' and saying "I wanna do that".

# 13
Jimmy P.
Jimmy P.
04/06/2020 6:50 pm

Guns N Roses; Slash

Appetite for Destruction

# 14
ToneChaserUK
ToneChaserUK
04/09/2020 8:32 pm

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Mr Wonderful album then someone gave me a copy of Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood...It was all over after that...Still chasing that tone.

# 15
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/11/2020 5:30 pm
Originally Posted by: ToneChaserUK

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Mr Wonderful album then someone gave me a copy of Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood...It was all over after that...Still chasing that tone.

Texas Flood really blew me away, too. Still does. It inspired me to learn more about the earlier players that influenced SRV. That ultimately led me to a much better understanding of and appreciation for different styles of music as I learned how different types of music have evolved from common roots.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 16
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/11/2020 6:12 pm

This is a hard one, rock has been my favorite genre for as long as I can remember. I guess I would name two or three early memories that made me take notice.

When my sister and I were maybe 8 (her) and 6 (me) years old my parents gave us a record player and my aunt gave us a stack of old 45s when she moved away. This was in about 1971. I very clearly remember The Rolling Stones, Honky Tonk Women. That cowbell, drum, guitar riff at the beginning had me hooked instantly. I didn't really understand the words much, but it had such a cool groove and rhythm. It was not quite like the songs we sang in preschool! I couldn't remember what was on the B side so I looked it up just now. Some obscure song called You Can't Always Get What You Want. I love 45s.

I don't remember nearly all of what was in that stack, but I can name a few:

Cher - Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves; Needles and Pins

Roy Orbison - Oh, Pretty Woman; It's Over

Kenny Rogers - Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town

Brenda Lee - Jambalaya

The first live song I remember was a band playing on the back of a flatbed truck on the parking lot of a shopping center. I think there was one of those traveling carnivals with rickety rides and the band saw a chance to play for an audience. I have no idea if they were any good at all but I remember one song they did that has never completely left my head. It was a song about a country boy that never learned to read or write so well. Yeah, Johnny B. Goode. Go, Johnny, go go!

Is there a more iconic riff in rock music than Johnny B. Goode? The whole song feels like a riff!

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 17
manXcat
manXcat
04/11/2020 10:10 pm

Enjoyed your anecdote Dave.

Concur with your perspective of "Johnny .B Goode", especially as performed by the original songwriter and consumate performer the late Chuck Berry. With three older brothers aged respectively 20, 17 and 13, two of whom were still living with us at home in 1958, I recall it being played on the radio during its original release, and the 45RPM endlessly on the expensive 'radiogram', all still mono recordings played through a single speaker that the 3" speaker in my Blackstar Fly 3 would almost render as shabby sounding today.

Always loved that song, and admired Chuck when one considers what he was up against in '50s America, regardless his documented foibles by hostile bigots digging up dirt with quite apparent objective of intentional misrepresentation.

Heard it covered by so many over the years. IME it's far more the signature tune of Rock 'n Roll than Bill Haley's "Rock Around The Clock" (1954), if the latter is acclaimed the first. Beyond even the honorary titular assignation "a classic". From 1958 to 2018, show me any function or high school senior dance floor which isn't rockin' the moment the band lights up with "Johhny B. Goode" and in the mood for more by the end of it.

[br]The master himself miming it in a film clip from 1958 and from a series of recordings filmed for TV (?) circa 1972 as I understand.

And a live cover of it from 2013 I really like a lot from a band I greatly admire. Go the Millennials! Timeless.

# 18
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/11/2020 11:38 pm

I like all three videos you linked there. The two of Chuck from totally different eras are cool to see together. I am pretty sure I have seen the older one before but not the one from the tv studio from the 70s. Any idea who the guys are playing with him? He looked like he was having fun and gave the other guys some spaces to do their thing. From what I understand, he did not always like to share the spotlight so that was cool to see. I'm thinking that may have been in the UK - it has that vibe to me anyway. I notice the Orange amp on the right - not sure those were all that common in the States that early. Maybe?

Anyway, you mention that he had to overcome a lot, and that's certainly true. He did indeed have some "foibles" but his story and his life were very complicated I think. Most people today really only know about the bad stuff without understanding the whole picture. Not saying he was a saint, of course. I don't think I would have particularly liked him or found him to be pleasant company, but he really could play that guitar just like ringing a bell![br][br]

Never seen the Mona Lisa Twins before, I see why you like them. Perfect name for them, isn't it? I watched their While My Guitar Gently Weeps video, too. That was really nice to watch. So talented to be so young, right?

# 19
manXcat
manXcat
04/12/2020 12:26 am
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

Never seen the Mona Lisa Twins before, I see why you like them. Perfect name for them, isn't it? I watched their While My Guitar Gently Weeps video, too. That was really nice to watch. So talented to be so young, right?

[p]They are literally -fraternal (?), twins. Die Wienerinnen Mona and Lisa Wagner -have to love them for their surname alone.

Yes. Recorded in 2011 a couple of months before they turned 17, that's an impressive -understatement, cover by them of an epic tune. Although one has to keep in perspective George Harrison was only 19 when The Beatles made it big with their first single "Love Me Do" and hit #1 in the UK with "Please Please Me". Sir Paul was only 20, and of course, writing, singing and playing their own compositions without the privilege of parental push.

[br]Talented yes. They've been at it a long time though, and had a lot of music industry literate parental support and nurturing from the very beginning of their journey. Which is not to detract unintentionally or otherwise from their self-apparent talent, commitment and determination. They not so young as you might think though. 26 this June. Tempus fugit.

Their being so strongly influenced by The Beatles music and that of their 1960s contemporaries, I'm in awe of their covers and original music. Their studio covers of The Hollies "Bus Stop" and Peter & Gordon's "A World Without Love" (written by McCartney) are particularly noteworthy, although there are so many they've done which which are equally good as to challenge those from the #1 & 2 best of covers spot.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.