View post (Which band or artist presented you to rock?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
04/11/2020 10:10 pm

Enjoyed your anecdote Dave.

Concur with your perspective of "Johnny .B Goode", especially as performed by the original songwriter and consumate performer the late Chuck Berry. With three older brothers aged respectively 20, 17 and 13, two of whom were still living with us at home in 1958, I recall it being played on the radio during its original release, and the 45RPM endlessly on the expensive 'radiogram', all still mono recordings played through a single speaker that the 3" speaker in my Blackstar Fly 3 would almost render as shabby sounding today.

Always loved that song, and admired Chuck when one considers what he was up against in '50s America, regardless his documented foibles by hostile bigots digging up dirt with quite apparent objective of intentional misrepresentation.

Heard it covered by so many over the years. IME it's far more the signature tune of Rock 'n Roll than Bill Haley's "Rock Around The Clock" (1954), if the latter is acclaimed the first. Beyond even the honorary titular assignation "a classic". From 1958 to 2018, show me any function or high school senior dance floor which isn't rockin' the moment the band lights up with "Johhny B. Goode" and in the mood for more by the end of it.

[br]The master himself miming it in a film clip from 1958 and from a series of recordings filmed for TV (?) circa 1972 as I understand.

And a live cover of it from 2013 I really like a lot from a band I greatly admire. Go the Millennials! Timeless.