View post (Which band or artist presented you to rock?)

View thread

ravens_creed
ravens_creed
01/11/2014 9:44 pm
Without getting too carried away with the possible ways to answer this question, I would have to, in all fairness, crown two very deserving and equal champions:

1. Guns 'n Roses - Having been born in 1980, I'm sure it comes as no surprise that GnR was the first band I chose to get into (as opposed to what was available in my parents' album collection) when I became old enough to take interest in such things. Ah, those sweet, sweet pre-pubescent years. On top of being mesmerized by Slash's signature guitar playing, I remember feeling like a big rebel every time Axel dropped the F-bomb in "You're Crazy" (the acoustic version, of course!). :P

2. Led Zeppelin - GnR might have been my first true rock love, but no band has left its mark on me over the years as Zep has. While certainly being among my favorite bands of all-time, I have learned more about rock and why I appreciate what I do within the genre (and even outside of the genre) and what I enjoy learning and playing on the guitar, through Led Zeppelin than any other band or artist.

Sometimes songs grow on you, but other times you're drawn to them instantly, you know, that feeling of instant-mesmerization. I have had that feeling through Led Zeppelin songs over the years more than any other artist. Even after thinking I had conquered all of their material, I was still unexpectedly treated to that first-time experience on two separate occasions, and I remember feeling consciously duped that there were still songs of theirs that could do that to me both times. I thought I had discovered and overplayed it all. Apparently not. The songs were "Ten Years Gone" from the Physical Graffiti album, and "Nobody's Fault But Mine" from the lesser-known album Presence.