Tremelo anyone?

bwig77
bwig77
02/07/2013 9:10 pm
Got a question for the more experienced tone masters out there - what would be a good, durable effects unit to give me the sound similar to the guitar lead riff on T. Petty's, "Swingin"? Towards the end of the song when it sounds very, vibrato...?
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
02/13/2013 6:09 pm
First, know that there are a differences between Vibrato effects and Tremolo effects. Tremolo effects don't effect the pitch of the note you're playing when it's activated - rather it's more of a modulation of the volume. Vibrato is actually an effect that is moving the pitch between two points fulcrumed by the note that you're playing - shifting the note sharp and flat in a controllable interval.

I am not familiar with the end of that song but I image that it's a Tremolo effect. The tremolo effect is standard on the classic Vox AC15 and AC30 amps that were widely used as studio amps, and still are today. This effect is much easier to acheive because whether you're using a pedal or if it's in your amp the process is the same - It's simply altering the volume. Check out some Tremolo pedals on www.musiciansfriend.com they have plenty of options... if you're interested in hearing how they sound, often you can find demos of pedals on youtube...
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.