View post (I need advise too... :))

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/02/2013 10:33 am
Call me old school but I still dig stomp boxes. For full disclosure, I don't currently own any since all my playing is for practice and DAW recording.

That said, the 'all in one' effect is a great thing and something I had the option for way back when. The issue is that it can be kinda complex and there are too many options.

I remember in the 80's, many guitarists suffered from refrigerator syndrome. What that meant was; the player had sooo many effects that they had to be fit inside a refrigerator road case....and most never sounded any better.

David Gilmour gets his sound but note choice and commitment to a note. His sound can be achieved by a some reverb and delay. Malcolm Young plays a hollow body Gretsch through a Marshall and little more. His sound is due to his being a rock solid rhythm player.

Not trying to rain on a parade but just mentioning that follow the 'outboard-effects-to-acheive-the-ultimate-sound' deal is kinda of a rabbit whole. You can spend a lot of money and never get there.

I've mentioned a time or two that in the 80's, I did a few 'guitar competitions'..In one of them, everyone had to play through the same amp. You could have all the outboard you wanted so long it could quickly be plugged in to the effects loop. I had no effects at all...but I knew the amp well. After I performed, I had several people ask me how I got such a big tone. I just plugged straight in. I didn't even change any tone settings...though, when we were all practicing backstage, when I warmed up on the combo version of the same amp, about 5 guys came in as ask me what my setting was and copied...so when I walked up and plugged in, it was already dialed in.

Anyway, the point is to be sure that you get effects that enhance what you can already do. If you can't do it, the effects will do nothing for you.

After that, just keep it simple. I like stomp boxes (and even with the amp sim I use, the effects are stomps) because they are simple and I can dial in quickly and then just play.