View post (What am I doing wrong?)

View thread

Outx40
Outx40
02/10/2013 11:56 pm
The positive feedback is great to recieve and everyones response this post has been very kind and politically correct. I thought I'd just pass along a comment given to me in the last few months.
I'd been actively pushing myself hard in practice, learning songs, taking chances improvising, etc. I'd gotten into one of those funks I'm sure all beginners go through where I didn't think I was improving fast enough and started to moan and wine a little too much about it. In conversation with local guitarist I consider to be an exceptional player my self defeating attitude carried into the discussion. I won't get into the details of the full conversation but basically the jist of what he told me was, "I've been playing hard and non-stop for 12 years to get to where I am in my craft. Who the hell do you think you are being upset after 16 months that you can't play like I do".
It was a profound comment for me, which I'll remember for the rest of my playing days. I didn't take it personally because it was directed in a general way. Of course he was absolutely right and now I just play and practice and play and practice.