View post (What am I doing wrong?)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
01/28/2013 9:35 pm
Hello, all of you very nice and helpful people :)

I've been playing the guitar alone now for about 8 months (by alone, I mean "not in a band"), and over the last 3 months, since I discovered this site, I've learned a lot about playing the guitar, but I've only learnt 2 or 3 songs partially in that time (and one fully, but not in full tempo), meaning that I must be doing something wrong somewhere. I've got both ambitions and goals sorted out (become better, find a band, play some small gigs at a few venues, hopefully become a famous rock-band), I just lack the technique! I can't move my left hand fast enough to keep up with awesome rock-songs I want to learn to play, and if I play at a slower pace, it just sounds wrong to me (which I consider to be a big dilemma).

What am I doing wrong? I can't hear that I'm improving at all, and that's beside playing at least an hour a day, sometimes even more. Maybe it's just lack of confidence in my abilities and maybe it's because I'm really not improving at all, I don't know for sure. I've been playing for 8 months now, maybe even more, and over the last month... I've stalled completely. I haven't improved at all, and if I have, I can't hear it.

I know some people may recommend finding a band, and quite frankly, I've been considering that option too. The biggest problem with that just happens to be that I know nobody else around my own age who's really into playing music. Does anyone know any places where you would normally find other musicians looking to form a band? If I didn't know better, I'd almost expect a smaller venue to be a great place to start...

I'd appreciate any help you can give me. I've invested a lot of money into playing the guitar, and I love both my gear and practicing too much to just give up, because I can't hear my own progress.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...