Input jack change on Ibanez JS

TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
01/26/2013 6:00 pm
My JS's input jack was worn out (the sound kept cutting out and came back when I jiggled the cable around in the input) so I got a new one and tried putting it in myself. Seemed like a straightforward swap but on the first try I got no sound. I unsoldered the two wires (one white one black) and tried them the other way around, now I get the sound but behind it is the most unholy buzzing and when I move the volume switch there's this scraping noise.

Anyone know what I've done wrong and how I can put it right before I take it into the shop and pay them to do it for me?
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
02/01/2013 2:56 pm
Usually buzzing is associated with stray voltages which might be present without sufficient grounding. Double check that your black wires are securely grounded (earthed - to some people). The scraping noise of the volume pot is usually associated with some corrosive build up. Get some contact cleaner and spray some of that on/in the control pot and turn the knob back and forth a bunch of times... of course do this with the guitar completely unplugged from any power source...
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.