add,sus??

randysgarage
randysgarage
01/23/2013 11:05 am
I'm looking for an explanation on what an "add 2, add 4, sus7 etc" means in relation to a standard open or minor chord. Im sure it's somewhere on the site but I've been unable to find it (could be because I dont know theproper term for this. Thanks Randy
# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/23/2013 12:36 pm
Hi Randy,

In a nutshell, it means this:

A standard major or minor chord contains 3 distinct notes:
the "one" (the root note, or the note the chord is named for)
the "three" (three tones up the scale from the "one)
and the "five" (five tones up the scale from the "one")

"Add 2" or similar language (sus4) means to ALSO add in the second note of the scale, (or the 4th, or the 7th, or whatever is called for)

Make sense?
-Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/25/2013 8:14 pm
Sounds like Lisa covered this for you as well, but it doesn't hurt to have an additional explanation.

You must first understand what makes up a major, and minor chord. It starts with the triad (three notes.) A major chord consists of the 1 (root), 3 (two whole steps above the root), and fifth (a whole step, and half step) up from the 3. You can also relate this to the major scale; the 1 being the first note, the 3 being the third, and the 5 being the fifth.

A minor chord is the same concept, only the 3 is flatted one half step to create the minor sound characteristic. You can also apply the same concept to the minor scale as I mentioned above.

From there, your suspensions can applied. Suspension, or sus, can also mean substitute honestly. For a sus2 chord, you are replacing the third of the chord with the second degree of the scale. You can also think of this as adding in a note a whole step up from the root. This is different then an add2 chord, which means you simply add it to the triad. When it's a sus2, it is neither major nor minor at that point.

Same applies for sus4; you are simply replacing the third with the fourth. In most cases you will move up a whole step from the third and play that note instead. There are cases where you can add the fourth to the triad; making it an add4 chord. This isn't as common though, but don't rule anything out.

Sus7 means you play a dominant 7th chord (1, 3, 5, b7,) but instead of playing the 3 you play the 4. So now it becomes 1, 4, 5, b7. This creates an interesting sound that helps resolve into another chord.

Make sense? :confused:
Douglas Showalter
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.