Hello from St Albert, Alberta

bunkerhill
bunkerhill
01/16/2013 9:51 pm
Decided to get back at it after many years of trying to learn, then distracted, then trying again, then distracted. Now retired and the distractions have gone away for the most part. Can now get on with what I've wanted to do since I was a kid, which is play this thing. I have 5 grand-daughters who have taken up guitar because they saw one sitting in my basement. Hope to be able to jam with them.
# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/16/2013 9:58 pm
Welcome, Bunkerhill!

So glad you are with us!

What style(s) of guitar are you wanting to play?

I used to play music with my Grandfather - I will always treasure that.

Be well, Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
bunkerhill
bunkerhill
01/22/2013 2:17 am
Hi Lisa,
I would like to learn to learn the Travis method of picking. I understand that Gordon Lightfoot used to use it, as well as many others. I am currently taking your lessons on two finger picking (thumb, and two fingers) with the view to eventually learning three finger picking. I tried to get back to this four years ago, but couldn't seem to find the time then. Hopefully this is it.

Bill H.
# 3
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/22/2013 6:11 am
Hey Bill, I used to live in Calgary AB... you know, one of the best tasting hamburgers I ever had was at an Oiler game in Edmonton! You're in good hands with Lisa's lessons... I went through the whole fingerpicking series. While I was a decent electric guitar player before I started, I had never really done any finger picking before (just strummed my acoustic). I was super impressed by how quickly I improved with Lisa's lessons, she does a super job. Be patient, take it slowly if you have to. Don't move on to the next lesson until you have the current one down solid... and when you practice, go as slowly as you have to without making mistakes. If you're finding the chords (assuming left hand) are giving you trouble, then focus on the chords & changes, then introduce the fingerpicking. If its the fingerpicking pattern (right hand) that's gives you trouble, don't worry about the chord changes... practice the fingerpicking pattern slowly, without making mistakes, until you can do it without thinking about it really, at a decent tempo. You'll find a huge pay off with this approach, because as you progress, you'll find learning new chords and new fingerpicking patterns easier and easier if you've masted the earlier ones first. Eventually the fingerpicking will be automatic... you'll just think "pattern 2" and do it without having to think about it.

The song "Its Never Too Late" is really fun to learn at the end, and not that hard when you finally get to it.

Good luck!

Cal
# 4
bunkerhill
bunkerhill
01/22/2013 7:07 pm
Thanks for the encouraging words. Very welcome even from a Calgarian. Actually, I guess we're all from someplace else. I agree that Lisa is a great instructor. I will follow your advice on the learning methods. I've tried it every other way, and it hasn't worked.

Bill.
# 5
JLJames
JLJames
02/09/2013 8:48 pm
Welcome Bunkerhill,
I live in Edmonton, Alberta, also, and I just started with this site not long ago as a member. Lisa is a tremendous mentor and you can't go wrong. She explains things so well. I find that playing along with her, via the videos, that I can't throw her off track in her playing. haha. A real blessing with this technology of videos.
I too put the guitar down about 25 years ago and am also trying to play it again, breaking old habits is a challenge, but rewarding when I succeed.
Do you still live in Calgary Slipin Lizard?
# 6
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/09/2013 9:50 pm
Hey JL,

Aha - so it's YOU who keeps trying to throw me off!

You rascal, you.

-LM
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 7
JLJames
JLJames
02/10/2013 5:56 am
Originally Posted by: LisaMcCHey JL,

Aha - so it's YOU who keeps trying to throw me off!

You rascal, you.

-LM

Have I been successful???haha
# 8
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
02/10/2013 8:38 am
[QUOTE=J
Do you still live in Calgary Slipin Lizard?[/QUOTE]

No, I live in Portland, Oregon. We've been down here for almost 10 years and love it. Lisa's lesson's are great. I'm looking forward to being a full member again once I get my hand issues resolved.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.