Guitar Rig by Native something?

49MrMark
49MrMark
01/14/2013 4:44 am
Good day,

I hope all is well with everyone today. I am new to Guitar Tricks though it shows that I joined back in 2011 but anyway I'm really enjoying myself with the beginning lessons.

My cousin in Minnesota picked up a software package at a barn sale (guess it is the equivalent to our California yard sales but keeps the snow at bay) that is called Guitar Rig 3 LE yesterday and he said the gentleman who sold it to him told him it is the most awesome thing a guitar player can have, I suppose next to a guitar, my cousin said he paid $25.00 so hope he didn't get ripped off to much, and he is sending it my way in a couple of days.

Apparently you load it on your computer and it makes it so I won't have to use the amp I have any longer (unless I want to) and it has effects like delay,distortion,compressor,ect. and you can also record yourself on a virtual tapedeck that it has.

He said you run the sound thru headphones so you don't bother your family and neighbors, which is why I bought the electric guitar and rather large amp in the first place just kidding. Anyway I'm am lost completely when it comes to these things and was wondering if anyone has used this make of software (the company that makes it is Native something)and is it good, can it screw up my computer or amp if I run it through my Carvin combo amp.

I have not found anything available on the two or three sites I regularly order stuff from, so maybe it isn't even being made anymore. I did find a company named Native Instruments that puts out stuff for DJ's and keyboard players so it may have been made by them at one time.

I don't think I want to use it as my amp because when I get together with friends I already hate to move the amp that weighs around 90 lbs, I can imagine having to disconnect and move my computer instead and I'm pretty sure my wife and son wouldn't want to not have the computer for times I'm off envisioning myself as an old Stevie Vie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated about using this item.

Thank you

Mark
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
01/14/2013 8:01 pm
He is sending you the "lite" version of this:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/guitar-rig-5-pro/

It is "amp simulator" software that tries to sound like you have various different amps and effects. I have a previous version, it is pretty fun but not quite as nice as having the real amps and effects. It is worth what he paid, but not more.

You might not find it convenient for your setup, as you noted.

Hope that helps.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/30/2013 12:50 pm
Hi Mark!

Just like Jon said it is amp simulator software, and it is definitely still being made by Native Instruments, but now (as you can see if you click the link), they're up to version 5. The biggest competitor is called Amplitube.

Native Instruments (Germany) is one of the biggest music software (and hardware) companies in the world making ALL kinds of products related to music - from great sample libraries and DJ drum pads to products like Guitar Rig, which you can actually get with a physical pedal to facilitate switching sounds.

How are you connecting your guitar to your computer? Usually, people use an external audio interface where you plug your guitar in, and it converts the signal in a good way from analog to digital. This way, the sound you get from Guitar Rig will be a bit better compared to plugging your guitar straight into the computer.

The only problem is that these cost much more than $25...

Let us know how things work out, and we'll try to help if you get stuck.

/Ben
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.