Here goes nothing!

dougiep
dougiep
01/14/2013 3:01 am
Hey everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself and get into the forums.

Tried teaching myself the guitar back during my senior year of High School with a Mel Bay book. Did pretty well with that. In college I took a couple semesters of lessons. It went well, until I met some really amazing guitar players and had more fun watching them play than practicing on my own. I put my guitar down and haven't picked it up until now...15 years later!

I'm back and really want to do it right this time. The guitar instructing scene has changed a lot over the years! I was intrigued by Rocksmith but wanted something that would give me a rich foundation. So I went to the web. Jamplay popped up right away, and then I saw Guitartricks. Here is where I ultimately ended up. The $99/year was too hard to pass up! As well the available songs I can learn after a lot of practice.

I'm starting from scratch, but want to end up playing finger-style and Folk music.

Doug
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
01/14/2013 7:57 pm
Welcome Doug! It sounds like you did pretty well on your own in the past. This should be a lot easier than studying out of a book.

Let us know how it goes.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/14/2013 8:18 pm
Hi Doug, and welcome!!

If you are interested in folk and fingerstyle for beginners, let me point you in the direction of a couple of tutorial paths that you might enjoy.

Acoustic Fingerpicking, Step-by-Step, Level 1

Acoustic Strumming, Step-by-Step, Level 1

So glad you are with us - you made the right choice!!
All best wishes,
Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
dougiep
dougiep
01/16/2013 1:18 am
Originally Posted by: LisaMcCHi Doug, and welcome!!

If you are interested in folk and fingerstyle for beginners, let me point you in the direction of a couple of tutorial paths that you might enjoy.

Acoustic Fingerpicking, Step-by-Step, Level 1

Acoustic Strumming, Step-by-Step, Level 1

So glad you are with us - you made the right choice!!
All best wishes,
Lisa

Thanks Lisa! Looking forward to trying them out after the fundamentals!
# 4
Snowshoe2005
Snowshoe2005
01/16/2013 1:40 am
My life long dream is to play songs on guitar.I have had in person teachers,books in the past.I am really good at theory etc but playing sucks! I have guitars,books and all the bells and whistles but need to walk the talk.Online seems to be the perfect fit for me.

I was drawn to guitar tricks after watching some of Lisa's preview instruction videos on you tube.As a visual learner,I need the benefit of video instruction.The final decision was based on the really good yearly price of 99.00.

Looking forward to the lessons. Good luck to all new students,we are on the right path here.

Barb
# 5
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/16/2013 2:45 am
Doug, I'm on a learning hiatus right now, but spent a over a year as a full member. The Fundamentals is fine to start, but remember, you're not in a specific "course" with GT. This provides a huge advantage because once you know just a few simple chords, you can start learning fingerpicking... and let me tell you Lisa's lessons are probably the best you'll ever find. I went through her entire fingerpicking series, and it was great! I now get way more enjoyment out of my acoustic playing now that I'm not limited to just strumming.

What I'd recommend you do is go look at her lessons... following the links she gave you, and see what chords you'll need to know to get started. Once you have those chords down, go ahead and go through the fingerpicking lesson... it makes a nice break from the Fundamentals theory and stuff... there's no reason you can't learn scales etc in Fundamentals, and then take a "break" working the right hand with fingerpicking, playing chords with your left hand that you already know. Have fun!
# 6
dougiep
dougiep
01/25/2013 1:29 am
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardDoug, I'm on a learning hiatus right now, but spent a over a year as a full member. The Fundamentals is fine to start, but remember, you're not in a specific "course" with GT. This provides a huge advantage because once you know just a few simple chords, you can start learning fingerpicking... and let me tell you Lisa's lessons are probably the best you'll ever find. I went through her entire fingerpicking series, and it was great! I now get way more enjoyment out of my acoustic playing now that I'm not limited to just strumming.

What I'd recommend you do is go look at her lessons... following the links she gave you, and see what chords you'll need to know to get started. Once you have those chords down, go ahead and go through the fingerpicking lesson... it makes a nice break from the Fundamentals theory and stuff... there's no reason you can't learn scales etc in Fundamentals, and then take a "break" working the right hand with fingerpicking, playing chords with your left hand that you already know. Have fun!

Thanks for the advice! It was just what I needed!
# 7
duck7264
duck7264
01/25/2013 4:39 am
Wazz up dougie p?

Welcome. this is a great site with lots of great instructors and alot of really knowledgeable, great members. If you ever need anything, all ya gotta do is ask. ROCK ON!

Duck
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.