Can someone pick up the guitar later in life and become a virtuoso

Tomas E
Tomas E
06/05/2019 11:52 pm

I would say age also can give you an advantage over young kids. You is more mature and balanced in your thinking that you can use to compensate the factors kids have as advantages. You might want to alter your aproach for it in order to make it suit yourself and in that way get a boost. So no it is never to late.

# 1
ccangia
ccangia
06/10/2019 8:04 pm

Hi;

Becoming a virtuso is not to high on my priority list. First, I can't remember being 35, I'm 71 and have been practicing for two months. I'm still pretty awful but that is alright. I am prepared to spend a month on one chord change if necessary. I just want to be able to play some of the songs I like moderately well. If you are wondering if age slows you down, YES for sure but I believe with sufficient practice we can overcome a lot of limitations.

Charlie

# 2
moleaustin
moleaustin
06/12/2019 12:36 pm

Playing the guitar is unwinding, fun and fulfilling regardless of whether you can just strum three harmonies.

# 3
brother_hesekiel
brother_hesekiel
06/18/2019 8:59 pm

Sure.[br]General rule of thumb is 10,000 hours of practice to get "really good" at something, no matter what. Granted, some things are easier to learn for a young person, but not all. I'd say somebody who starts playing golf as a full time hobby at age 45 can become a world class golfer if he has also talent. A tennis star, not so much, as it involves a lot of physical activity. A guitarist? Of course!

If you have put 10,000 hours into learning the guitar, you may arrive at this stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMcdhCR9Ubw

No idea how much better you could become. The young chap did it in 7 years, so if you start out at 50, you may still be able to wow a large crowd many years before you retire.

A totally different hurdle is to publish, become a recording artist. The best age for that is in your teens. By age 30 the train has often left the station. That has nothing to do with talent, but everything to do with cultural habits.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.