View post (Can someone pick up the guitar later in life and become a virtuoso)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/26/2013 9:42 am
I think of 'accomplished' not totally virtuosically but in terms of command of the instrument in whatever discipline that was played. In the way that Lizard said above.

I was a shredder back in the 80's. Pretty good too. They used to have guitar competitions for shredders back then. I entered two of these. They would select the top tapes from 100's/1000's of tapes. One competition took the top twenty and the other the top ten. I performed in the the one that took the twenty players. The other, I did not perform but was the 'A Alternate', I came to find out that was the '11th guy' out of 10. So, not bad.

That was then with hours a day of practicing. I enjoyed it but it didn't mean anything. Now, every once in a while, I whip out the shred licks but it's not what drives me.

I was recording some stuff last weekend (I mentioned this in another post) and I wanted to nail a section. I still do. It is very few notes but if done right, would add a lot.

It's command of the instrument. I think of technical ability as something that allows you to execute what you wish with authority. Physical prowess is only important if it helps to play what you wish and like you mean it.

People have often enough said nice things about my ability but I don't hear it (do we ever??). I don't know that I will ever have the level of command that makes me happy.

Then again, I like the process of trying and that is what playing is really about.