View post (Can someone pick up the guitar later in life and become a virtuoso)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/10/2013 9:53 pm
This thread has been well-answered, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyways as its a good discussion.

Hunter is right, you're not likely going to be able to "compete" with lighting fast blazing guitar demons out there at this point. But why would you want to? Do you really want to be able to fire off "solos" that sound like you just got the high score to some 80's arcade game? If not, then you can't be the "best" because no one can. There's no one guitarist who can do it all. There are just way too many styles out there, there is no way any one guitarist can claim to be the best. Some metal shredders out there are very proficient at acoustic guitar, but most of them are not. They have focused on using light strings, flat, low action necks and just find making the jump to heavy gauge strings and a higher action too much. Its also probably not their passion. So really, I think a big part is just finding what you are passionate about, and let that motivate you.

On a more practical note I'd say if you really want to improve, approach like an adult, and practice like a kid. In other words, get organized, focused and disciplined. Then, practice for at least 2 or 3 hours a day. That's if you really want to "conquer" the instrument. I think a lot of adults just don't dedicate enough time to regular practice to really get ahead... work, family, and social activities get in the way. Most of the younger, really accomplished guitarists I've met are some what reclusive, and really spend a lot of time with their instrument. Kids are fortunate in that the tend to be able to dedicate plenty of time to practice if they have the desire.

You can always just be happy with where you are at, and where you are going. Having fun is the most important thing, and if you're satisfied with your playing you don't have to prove yourself to anyone else.