View post (Can someone pick up the guitar later in life and become a virtuoso)

View thread

bvarbel
bvarbel
01/04/2013 11:25 pm
I started playing guitar at age 17. I'm 35 now. Pretty much I'm a self taught, play by ear, type of guy--with no formal training. My skills are mediocre. I just play casually.

If I wanted to take lessons and practice a lot could I acquire skills that rival the best? Before you say "yes, you can do anything you put your mind to" think about these points below.

Athletically it would be impossible for me at age 35 to become a professional gymnast, football player, ice skater, tennis player, or body builder. Some things are best learned from development.

Mentally it would be impossible for me to become a chess grand master or even master. I learned chess at 20, and my skills have improved, but with very few exceptions, like learning a language, high level chess is best reserved for development in children/youth.

So with that being said...guitar is physical and mental. Would I suffer the limitations of adult beginner students in other areas that has been proven, or can I acquire high level guitar playing as an adult.

P.S. I just bought a year of lessons on Guitar tricks. I am learning a lot of great skills--but I'm just curious is there a limit on what an adult can do in this area.