Help with on board electonics

bunnahowen
bunnahowen
11/13/2012 10:17 pm
Hi All

Just picked up a nice Crafter cutaway guitar which is the first guitar I have had with controls built into the body. Someone might have info on the system which is a Timber Plus EQ. It has a slide called scoop? Anyone know what this does?
Also a button called phase??? and added to that the acoustic amp has 4 band EQ as well. My question about that is - am I supposed to set up both sets of controls or one or what? Found nothing on the net so would be grateful for any info.
cheers

Tony
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
12/05/2012 4:46 am
"Scoop" is almost always associated with the "Middle" frequencies of the range. A high setting will boost your mids and a low setting will lower them. They call it "Scoop" because if you look at a line of frequency faders ( ------ ) and you lower the mids (\__/) the line looks like a scoop. This can be handy in making your guitar sound a little thinner so your vocals can fill more space in the overall mix.

The Phase button is probably associated with the pickup itself. In-phase or out of phase. This can be handy when trying to control feedback while playing live. otherwise it probably doesn't have a whole lot to do with the overall tone of the guitar... more or so just how the guitar may react with other instruments and electronic equipment around you when you're plugged in.

As for the over all EQ question... I find it easiest to dial in a very basic EQ at the amp... then control the rest from song to song from the guitar. This way you're not constantly walking over to the amp to tweak here and there. But beyond that, you should sit and tweak around with the two EQ's you might find some interesting tones that are created in relationship to each other's EQ's.
# 2
bunnahowen
bunnahowen
12/12/2012 10:56 am
Hi Aschleman

Sorry for the late reply but many thanks for your extremely helpful advice.From subsequent tinkering you called it right. Guitar sounds more natural with the predominant use of the guitar controls but as you say leaves the way open for experimentation and excellent point about the practical side of adjusting during playing.The phase button I have switched on only when using mics. Impressed with the Crafter guitar, good bang for buck as they say. Many thanks again.
Best wishes
Bunn
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.