Which Effects Processor

crockett1
crockett1
07/29/2012 4:33 am
My electric equipment includes a Fender Squier, a Fender Tele, a Fender Strat, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I have a 10 Watt practice amp and a Fender 65 Twin Reverb Reissue amp. I am looking to add some effects in the form of an effects processor for the sake of gaining different sounds, not necessarily recording. I have looked at the Boss GT-10, Boss GT-100, the Boss ME-70, and the TC Electronics Nova System. I am leaning toward the latter one. Does anyone have any input on which, if any, of these processors is more desirable or if there are others that I should be considering?
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
08/01/2012 1:54 am
hi Crockett1,

Sounds like you've got some good gear there. TC Electronics always makes great sounding effects, really clear. I'm not familiar with the Nova System, but I back their brand. But BOSS makes great stuff too and they've been around for a long time, kind of a classic.

You may consider ease of use, if you're not a technical person that might be a factor. I find myself bogged down with too many choices when I just "want to play!" :D
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
phillybeatle
phillybeatle
08/02/2012 2:48 am
Neil, It would be great if you gave demos of the GT-10. Why doesn't guitartricks work something out with Boss. I am sure it would improve their sales.
# 3
Carmine M
Carmine M
08/02/2012 5:44 am
HiCrokett1,
Double check your wish list, I think (I can be wrong) that the processors you mentioned emulate amps too. For what you are saying I will go for a Line6 multi effects unit (the series which starts with M) if you want to use your own amps.
Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 4
aschleman
aschleman
08/06/2012 6:47 pm
I have owned a Digitech GENX system, a Boss GT-8, and a Line 6 PODxt Live.... and I can say that they all sound like processed garbage to my ears...

They are certainly nice for their overall versatility of finding new sounds and they're fun to play around with... but in terms of sound quality it really sucks the life out of your guitar and amp. I use an effects pedal board with actual effects pedals now... but I still have the PODxt Live.

I'm a Fender guy and I can't imagine playing a digital processor through a '65 Twin Reverb! haha.

In the end though, do what's good for you and your ear. Processors can be fun and they are one of those types of gear that takes a long time to get bored with.
# 5
razzlemacher
Full Access
razzlemacher
Full Access
08/10/2012 8:28 pm
I have a Line6 Pod X3. If you don't like spending hours and hours dialing in the right sound then Pod X3 is a good solution because you can just download the song's configuration file from the Line6 website and presto ... you'll have the exact sound you need for the song you are playing.

Otherwise you would have to master the Pod x3 controls (or any other processor) and that to me is time wasted because I'd rather be playing the guitar than playing on the processor. And believe me it has enough knobs and buttons and LCD screen options to make it a real chore real fast.

E.g. I downloaded the config file for Crazy Train/Ozzy and it was really close to the original.

I haven't used any other processors so can't compare the pod to others. Perhaps they are easier to use when creating your own sounds / effects than the Pod.

Hope it helps.
# 6
Rogerd99
Full Access
Rogerd99
Full Access
08/30/2012 1:30 am
Just trying to get an idea of how many song presets or configs the line 6 site has? Mainly looking for classic rock 60's-90's.
# 7
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/30/2012 2:19 am
I agree that the Line 6 stuff is the best in this department in my experience. I use all individual pedals, but for recording I really like the M series stuff along with the XT live.

I have not had much experience with TC Electronics outside of seeing the vocal effects in use, but I know several people that love that stuff. Yes, steer clear of too much "amp modeling." The amp modeling can really change the tone and when you want just effects, that can be a burden. Also, some effects processors (particularly the BOSS GT stuff) get way too in depth and even the simplest things can be overly complicated.

Here is a link to the Line 6 M13 and M9, which I think both are great.
http://line6.com/m9/
http://line6.com/m13/

- Douglas
Douglas Showalter
# 8
wolbai
wolbai
08/30/2012 3:43 pm
Originally Posted by: crockett1My electric equipment includes a Fender Squier, a Fender Tele, a Fender Strat, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I have a 10 Watt practice amp and a Fender 65 Twin Reverb Reissue amp. I am looking to add some effects in the form of an effects processor for the sake of gaining different sounds, not necessarily recording. I have looked at the Boss GT-10, Boss GT-100, the Boss ME-70, and the TC Electronics Nova System. I am leaning toward the latter one. Does anyone have any input on which, if any, of these processors is more desirable or if there are others that I should be considering?

I am using Line6 Effects in my Cover Rock Band, because of the good quality for the bucks and the versatility I need.

You should consider the latest Effect boards from Line6: HD300, HD400 and HD500.

In addition to a lot of good effects (they are from the M-series), you also have a variety of amp models you can choose.

Your "clean" Fender amp is soundwise somehow limited in my opinion (but thats just up to your needs).

With amp Models like a Marshall/JCM800 or a Mesa Boogie/Dual Rectifer from the Line6 HDXXX effect processor, you can move into new tonal dimensions with your Fender amp. But this - of course - depends on what you are want to achieve.

Good luck - wolbai.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.