Old Habits Never Die Young!

Joseph
Joseph
04/08/2002 12:17 am

When it comes to progression, we all have our own personal methods. As young guitarists, and as experienced veterans of the game there's always something new to learn. There are a lot of reasons why I decided to pick up guitar several years ago, but I think the primary attraction is simply the idea of having never ending limitations to my creativity. There are so many techniques to master on this instrument, and just when you think you've learned it all, our guitar grabs us by the throat and tosses us around begging for more.

I pride myself as a songwriter before I catagorize myself as anything else. Of course we all love to shred with the best of them, but when all of the cards are on the table, it's the arrangement of chourds and the lyrics that give me that fill at the end of the day.

I guess I always feel the need to write something new, and it doesn't matter what type of music it is, as long as it's something different to add to my list. We play for hrs in the afternoon, or whenever we can, but I always like to leave off with something out of the blue, an idea like nothing I've evere heard before. And it doesn't matter if we hate it the next day, all that matters is that we've finished a thought!

So as guitarists, what are your strange habits that keep you going til the next day? After all of the confusion we face everyday, what gives you the enthusiasm to pick up and play the next day?

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/08/2002 3:27 am

Hey Joseph. Long time, no see.

I'd have to say that what keeps me eager to play the guitar is the fact that it's a good escape from everything. When you're jamming on the guitar (or on any other instrument for that matter) you forget about all your worries and responsibilities and become absorbed in the music. It's a sort of catharsis, because you're concetrating on what you're playing or singing and your mind isn't free to wander or worry.

So what keeps you going? ( and don't say it's Shannon Elizabeth . . . LOL ;) )

# 2
mrcrowley
mrcrowley
04/08/2002 3:46 pm
Practicing in the shower.
Education is a whip, and I'm being flogged.
# 3
Joseph
Joseph
04/08/2002 3:49 pm
Originally posted by Christoph

So what keeps you going? ( and don't say it's Shannon Elizabeth . . . LOL ;) )

Heh, well she is pretty great, and she keeps me going all night. But seriously, when it comes to music and all that increases my enthusiasm, I guess it's just the natural idea of always trying to outdue myself...not to the standards of others (or what they consider acceptable) but simply what helps me on my neverending path to self discovery. Music is inside our hearts, and sometimes we create different preferences for all of the wrong reasons, but as musicians if we could just learn to trust ourselves more often, then we can simply broaden our horizans like never before...

I have a tremendous will to always find smething new that interests me, whether it's a few local bands down here in South Florida, or just a few key elements here and there in songs that I never heard until now. There's always something that pushes us to the next level as musicians, and it's basically up to us to find out whatever that is. Music is not one big competition, and it should never be thought of that way. It's a gift, and a wondeful way for us to express ourselves. Once we learn the rules, we should know enough to breeak them in anyway poassible, which is the very essence of creativity.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 4
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/08/2002 3:51 pm
The fact that I spent six thousand which with intrest will be around nine thousand to update my sound, but I love music and as long as there is something, a feeling maybe to inspire me I'll be right there strummin.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
FretSlug
FretSlug
04/08/2002 3:58 pm
I think now what keeps me going (practicing 4 hours a day, or something like that) are the umm.. Admittance test (hmm I don't know if it's called that in English) to the local music Highschool called Sibelius-lukio.
And ofcourse that I must be the greatest guitar god in the world.. :P
"If practise makes perfect, and no one is perfect, why practise? Duh.."
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
04/08/2002 3:59 pm
Originally posted by mrcrowley
Practicing in the shower.

Yesss, it does help us hit those high notes. :D

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 7
Joseph
Joseph
04/08/2002 4:00 pm
Originally posted by FretSlug

And ofcourse that I must be the greatest guitar god in the world.. :P

Now you're talking!!!:cool:

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.