GT Metronome

brenoazzi
brenoazzi
07/03/2012 9:54 am
Hi guys,

some pieces, like WarrantĀ“s "Heaven", have a tempo (73 bpm) that does not match with the standardized tempos of GT metronome (72 bpm or 74 bpm).

With the progress of the music, it makes big difference.

Must we adapt to the metronome tempos?

In fact this will change the original tempo of the piece. What relevance has this change in practice?

:confused:
:) Azzi.

Be kool and stay free.
# 1
ElectricDjango
ElectricDjango
07/03/2012 12:56 pm
A few points:

(i) There are some free online metronomes that are, in fact, adjustable to any beat rate you should desire within a particular range.

(ii) There is nothing at all wrong with practicing something (whether long or a short passage) at a slower tempo than any given recording of it. In fact, if you can't accomplish something at speed, the only option you have is to slow it down, and speed it up as you progress.

(iii) There is likewise nothing wrong with performing a tune at some slower or faster tempo than the "original" version of it. This is an aspect of expressing yourself, of course.

(iv) 72 vs. 73 BPM is not something I think is particularly noticeable. There's a difference of something like 1/100th of a beat per second.
# 2
brenoazzi
brenoazzi
07/03/2012 3:40 pm
Hi ElectricDjango,

(i) Yes, i know this, but I am referring specifically to the GT metronome. I just donĀ“t understand why a metronome don't have adjustable bpm beat by beat.

(ii) Of course, no problems with practice. This would not the focus of the thread.

(iii) I agree.

(iv) I agree. I think itĀ“s not noticeable to the audience , however i would like to work with precise tempos and accurate rhythm. Maybe in a long run, some adjustments up and down in tempo, even being only by 1 beat, could cause some problems with my sense of rhythm.

Be kool and stay free.
# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/06/2012 12:33 am
Originally Posted by: brenoazziHi ElectricDjango,

(i) Yes, i know this, but I am referring specifically to the GT metronome. I just donĀ“t understand why a metronome don't have adjustable bpm beat by beat.

(ii) Of course, no problems with practice. This would not the focus of the thread.

(iii) I agree.

(iv) I agree. I think itĀ“s not noticeable to the audience , however i would like to work with precise tempos and accurate rhythm. Maybe in a long run, some adjustments up and down in tempo, even being only by 1 beat, could cause some problems with my sense of rhythm.

It may be that, if the 1 bpm difference is meaningful to you, the GT metronome is not the one to be using.

Jon posted this in April; "I spent a lot of time working on the development of the metronome. During that time, I tested other flash based metronomes available. I found they all tend to be a little flaky, and the flaky-ness depends on your system and what software it has running. For instance, the anti-virus you run can make the metronome speed up and slow down.

So overall, flash metronomes just don't stand up to the sort of scrutiny you are giving this one. For real precision, you have to have native software, not flash."

It sounds like no matter at what tempo, the GT metronome 'could cause some problems with your sense of rhythm.' ;)
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
brenoazzi
brenoazzi
07/06/2012 1:55 am
Thanks. ;)

Be kool and stay free.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.