Classic nylon string tone on a Fender Strat

Passey01
Full Access
Passey01
Full Access
06/16/2012 5:34 pm
O.k. I know what the obvious answer is but is there any way I can get a nylon string sound out of an electric guitar to play classical style songs?

I am playing a Fender Strat Deluxe and I have a Fender Mustang III amp so I have a lot of sounds and amp settings I can play with. I love listening to Lindsey Buckingham and he gets those kind of sounds out of his equipment and I am looking for the same kind of sound. I like that "classical" kind of sound and thought as an experiment, is there a way to get the same sound off of an electric.

My apologies to the true classical players and fans out there.

Thanks...

Lloyd
# 1
compart1
compart1
06/17/2012 10:29 am
I think Roland has a processor that will do that.
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/17/2012 3:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Passey01O.k. I know what the obvious answer is but is there any way I can get a nylon string sound out of an electric guitar to play classical style songs?
[/quote]
Using your equipment you can try to simulate a classical sound by using the out of phase pickup setting combining your neck & middle pickup. This will keep minimize any harshness in attack. Next, keep the volume down, but more importantly dial one or both of the tone knobs down a bit. Experimentation here is crucial.

On the amp side, you need the cleanest, clearest model setting. As a place to start, set the bass & mids at 5 & the treble at 3. Again, experimentation & further tweaking required. :)

Classical guitars being played acoustic do not have any effects. However, when you hear a classical guitar recording it is sometimes typical to hear it recorded in an ambient room or hall. So, a tiny bit of reverb or hall echo/delay can be preferable. Especially, if...
[QUOTE=Passey01]I love listening to Lindsey Buckingham and he gets those kind of sounds out of his equipment and I am looking for the same kind of sound.

He uses lots of reverb & effects on a most clean tone. Look here for more clues!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=955776

Have fun. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/30/2012 1:02 pm
I'm guessing pick up selection/position is key too. Not having tried, the mid/neck pick up combo would be my first try...kinda mellow and plucky.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.