Classical guitar string breaking in case?

hunter1801
hunter1801
05/17/2012 1:21 am
Anyone else every experience this? Second time it has happened to me. A string broke on my classical guitar while it was just sitting in the case.

The first time I was asleep and a noise woke me up. Didn't think anything of it so went back to sleep. Went to play my guitar the next day and found that a string had broken.

I just finished playing about an hour ago. Put my guitar in the case just now and about 10 minutes later I heard a snap. Immediately checked the guitar case and sure enough.....broken string.

It was the A string this time, but I think it was either the A or D string the first time.

Why would this happen? The strings are maybe 2 months old, but seemed in great shape. Not a lot of wear and tear on them at all.
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/17/2012 12:58 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Anyone else every experience this? Second time it has happened to me. A string broke on my classical guitar while it was just sitting in the case.

Yes, that's happened to me a couple of times. I've heard of it happening to other people's classical guitars also. It is usually one of the wound strings & near the bridge. Usually it happens to the lower wound strings; first the D string (most tension on the lightest gauge), then the A string, then the low E string. I don't know for sure, but it seems like it could be caused by a few different factors independently or in combination:

1. Small imperfections or "burrs" on the bridge that gradually separate the windings of the string.
2. Small imperfections in the core or windings of the string.
3. Changes in humidity.
4. Changes in temperature.

Ever since I got a TRIC case it has not happened.

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/tric.html

Hope that helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/17/2012 5:54 pm
Both times it has happened at the tuning post. Well, at least now I have an excuse to go to the guitar shop I guess.
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/18/2012 1:38 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Both times it has happened at the tuning post. Well, at least now I have an excuse to go to the guitar shop I guess.

That's unusual, in my experience. Maybe there's a burr or an imperfection in the tuning post the string wraps around? Anyway, it's always good to have an excuse to go to the guitar store! Hope you find & fix the culprit.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.