Mastery of the guitar?

Guillermostaggs
Great Shadow
Guillermostaggs
Great Shadow
05/06/2012 7:38 pm
this is my outlook on mastering the guitar our minds set a goal like say play 16th note 300bpm ounce we have spent years reaching playing this amazing speed your mind says ive mastered speed well you havent you can always go farther and use several techniques to branch out even more speed like hammer on pull offs ounce you practice that it seems like its mastered nope go to tapping learn to play it ive mastered it noooo you can always get better no matter what scales i learned them all well thats more then unlikely becuase their our a infinite number of scales out their the message im trying to get out their is mastering something is what our minds limit us to i would like to hear some feedback on your thoughts aswell and remember never stop learning or getting better :-)
Dont stop keep going-frank zappa Find what your good at and exaggerate it-steve vai
# 1
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
05/06/2012 10:24 pm
Well my opinion is, mastering the guitar has nothing to do with speed.
Look at Andres Segovia. To many, including myself, he was and his a guitar master. He never focused on how quick he could or should play, only how well he could sing each notes with his guitar.

Speed players tend to be messy. Sure they are really impressive (technically) and I'm trying to improve my speed too but we have to remember that music is art. Its not about how fast you can paint a nice portrait. It's how your gone be able to translate the person's emotion into your portrait. There is place for speed but it shouldn't be our main concern.

Ok so that was my opinion on speed. Now to the subject. For a while I have been working on my improvisation. Every time I reach a new step, I say to myself : " Ahh ! now I'm getting good ". Then I look up and see all the other stairs that I have to climb before reaching the level I want (but we all know that once I get at that level, there's gone be other stairs right ? :)) I say this often on the forum but the best thing to do at that point is not to get discourage. To stop looking up and enjoy our music on that step. Sometimes looking down and seeing all the progress we have made can help with this.
Have fun and remember that there is no limits in life, only the ones you put yourself.
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/06/2012 10:26 pm
*Translation of original post at bottom*

I couldn't even read through that on the first try. Not a single punctuation of any kind in that entire paragraph. Don't even get me started on the grammar.....

"their our a infinite number" :( ......really? You're 17 man.....You should at least know the difference between things like "there" and "their". Also, "our" and "are" are two completely different words.

I'm sure I may be coming across too harsh, but this was pretty bad. At least make an effort.

_____

I'll go ahead and translate the original topic in case other people don't want to read through that original post:
This is my outlook on mastering the guitar:

Our minds set a goal, like play 16th notes at 300bpm. Once we have spent years reaching this amazing speed, your mind says, "I've mastered speed". Well you haven't.

You can always go further and use several techniques to obtain even more speed (like hammer ons and pull offs). Once you practice that, it seems like it's mastered. Nope! You go to tapping and learn to play it. Think you've mastered it? Noooo.

You can always get better, no matter what scales i learned them all. [not sure how to even fix this sentence. No idea which sentence "no matter" is directed towards] Well that's more then unlikely, because there are an infinite number of scales out there.

The message I'm trying to get out there is that mastering something is what our minds limit us to [Don't know how to fix this. I think I get your message, but the actual sentence here makes no sense].

I would like to hear your thoughts on this. And remember.....never stop learning and getting better :)

From what I could make out, I think you're basically just saying that there is always more to learn on the guitar no matter how good you think you are.

I agree. Not sure what kind of "feedback" you are looking for. Other than me strongly advising you to master English before you try to master guitar.
# 3
haghj500
haghj500
05/07/2012 1:10 am
To me speed has very little to do with a good lead, in fact David Gilmour has got to be my favorite guitar players to listen to when I just want to kick back relax and enjoy guitar music. He is a case study of where playing less is more.

Speed has it's place, but for me it's not an end goal.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.